FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frustrated With AVCHD to Standard DVD!!

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Klein
Frustrated With AVCHD to Standard DVD!!
on Sep 25, 2009 at 1:41:35 pm

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I hope someone can help me. I will confess to being completely ignorant when it comes to this stuff, only been working with it for about a month and am not happy at all with my results.

I have 2 HD camcorders Sony CX12 and Canon HF S100 (just bought hoping it would fix a problem). I have serveral trial versions of editing software (Vegas, PowerProducer, Premier Elements 7, Pinnacle 14, etc) and Vegas seems to offer the user the most control over the output. So, I've spent most of my time with that. I shot video of my daughter shooting hoops yesterday with both cameras at their highest settings... (canon, 1920x1080 24Mbps, 60i & 30p & 24p), (sony 1920x1080 60i). Each clip was about 2 minutes yielding 4 clips (3 from canon and 1 from sony). I copied files to my video folder and then fired up Sony DVD Architect 5 (trial copy) and created a standard DVD at 720x480, bit rate of 9.8 (I think... highest it would go without error). My wife and I watched the DVD and wouldn't you know it, the 1 year old Sony CX12 looked the best!! The Canon looked horrible with the jaggies and video noise and what is the point of 24p and 30p? The Sony is unacceptable still! What gives? When I look at the time line of both cameras, each frame looks great in itself. The rendering just messes all that up.

I purchased a hi def camcorder a year ago, knowing I wouldn't afford burning blu-ray until the media goes down in price, but wanted to be ready for the future. However, the resulting standard DVD down conversions are awful. Please help. I don't need to use Vegas, if there is something better please let me know. Oh... I also used the out of the box Canon software and that looked horrible as well and didn't offer me any adjustments. Thanks in advance.

Travis

Return to posts index

Nick 2746
Re: Frustrated With AVCHD to Standard DVD!!
on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:03:10 pm

Hi Travis

I have a Canon HF 200 and have spent a lot of time exprimenting with the AVCHD movie clips and have been amazed at the good quality of them when burnt on an SD DVD. However, I have been using Final Cut Pro Studio 2.

I have Sony Vegas also on Windows platform which gives me good results. Have you set your project preferences correctly before importing the movie clips on the timeline? Try creating a WMV file with your movie clip by clicking on make Movie icon. If this plays well and you get good quality results then the next thing would be to check the settings in Architecture. Let me know how you get on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]