FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need camera but have no clue

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Angel
Need camera but have no clue
on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:11:24 am

Hello everybody,

I'm a musician (happy to answer questions here) looking for a video camera to film me and my band in the studio, backstage, on the street and - sometimes - on stage.

I was wondering if anybody could provide me with some basic information about what criteria to look for in a camera (resolution, lens etc.).

Quality doesn't need to be professional, but better than in "Funniest Home Videos"...

I'm looking forward to any good suggestions and thank you for your time.

Best

Julian

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: Need camera but have no clue
on Sep 22, 2009 at 6:21:28 pm

I've video recorded a lot of live performances in my career. As important as video, in your case, is sound, so you'll want to be able to control the recording of the audio as well as the video. Since you're asking on the Canon Cameras forum, I'll suggest the XH-A1S. You'll have professional level video recording in both SD & HDV and professional control of your audio. You'll be able to take a direct feed from your main mixer. If you prefer, you can also get a hard drive recorder, such the one from Focus Enhancements, FS-CV100, for tapeless recording or simultaneous tape/tapeless recording. Check the B&H Photo website for pricing and availability. This all represents a fairly modest investment. Good luck.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Need camera but have no clue
on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:59:41 pm

What's your budget?

We could give a thousand recommendations, but it doesn't matter if it's not in your price range. The XH-A1s is certainly a great camera, but if you're budgeting, say, under a grand, your options will be along the lines of a well used Canon XL-1 or Panasonic DVX100 or a newer consumer cam like the Canon HV40.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]