FORUMS: list search recent posts

xl1 footage vs HD camera sd shooting

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony antonio
xl1 footage vs HD camera sd shooting
on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:43:20 pm

so I bought my xl-1 long time ago.. used it maybe 20 hours tops..(used) and yeah I just had it serviced last year so its like new. I was thinking of going HD.. if the Canon XH-A1 also shoots regular dv would that footage look a lot better then mine on my regular canon xl-1 (incase I wanted to shood sd that is)? A buddy of mine showed me a couple of snapshots from his panasonic(Panasonic AG-HVX200 i think) dont know if it was cause of the lighting but the shot was amazing.... basically Im going to try to shoot a movie in a few months.. should I not even bother or should I stick with the xl-1?.. Have seen my xl-1 go for about $1000 on ebay.. figured I sell that.. all my batteries.. case.and maybe even my glidecam 4000.. should get about $1500 for all.. and some other stuff.. .. what great dv/HD camera can I buy for about $3200....but dont forget abou my first question.. thanx

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: xl1 footage vs HD camera sd shooting
on Sep 18, 2009 at 8:52:12 pm

I'm still shooting with an XL-1 that I bought in 1999. I've shot hundreds of hours with it in rain forests, construction sites, helicopters, theaters, conference rooms, churches, banquet halls and cardiac surgical suites for documentary, corporate, social and other video work. It has been overhailed twice and I have no plans to get rid of it. SD production, despite all the hype, is not dead for every application. Tape-based production is certainly on the way out, but for a couple of thousand dollars you can just hang a hard drive or flash based recorder on the back and keep shooting away. You can also still use it for image magnification at live events. It will be you old trustworthy back up camera when you buy something new.
I've been looking at the XH-A1s also, but am beginning to re-think the whole tape-based aquisition thing as I'm in the middle of editing a series of interviews for a project. I haven't shot with the XH-a1 but it's safe to assume that sd footage will be as good or better.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

Joe Micalizzi
Re: xl1 footage vs HD camera sd shooting
on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:16:09 am

Is this the Tony Gomez of the old Amiga Toaster days?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]