FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost AVCHD Video Clips

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jorge J Bravo 11 MD
Lost AVCHD Video Clips
on Sep 6, 2009 at 2:08:10 pm

On two occasions using my new Vixia HF 200 camcorder with 16 GB Class 6 Adata SDHC cards, scenes that I had recorded simply disappeared when trying to view them on playback. When I checked the card on the camcorder, the camcorder showed that significant memory was used! When I recorded additional clips on the same card, the new clips played back normally but the old ones are not visible even though the card info check on the camcorder shows that there has been increased storage. I believe that I may have closed the LCD panel while the card was still being written to, but I am not sure.
So I think the SDHC card retains ALL the clips but I cannot see them. How can I retrieve or see these lost clips. I do not want to format the card as this would delete the clips.
I use an Imac with OS X.
Thanks in advance.
Thibojb2

thibojb2

Return to posts index

Nick 2746
Re: Lost AVCHD Video Clips
on Sep 7, 2009 at 6:47:03 pm

I suggest you try viewing your files on a PC. Sometimes hiddedn files seem to be visible on a PC - worth a try.

Also, do you format your card once you've downloaded all your clips? That seems to keep the SD card is good order. Just deleting files when not needed is not a good diea.

I have also found that cheaper memory card often develop faults. I therefore go for Sandisk, which has never given me any trouble.

HTH

Return to posts index

Jorge J Bravo 11 MD
on Sep 26, 2009 at 3:14:55 pm

Thanks for the response, Nick.
The Adata SDHC cards actually performed well as the quality of the AVCHD video was quite good. This is the video shot AFTER the card writing error. I took the cards to a local camera shop but their software--Image Recall-- was unable to see the clips. These SDHC cards are brand new and had been formatted by the Vixia HF 200 prior to using. Google searches have been futile at this point on how to retrieve these .mts clips. At this point, I will just put these SDHC cards away and hope that some type of .mts AVCHD retrieval software is developed in the future. I will try the PC route as I have an older laptop that might see these files.

thibojb2

Return to posts index

Jon Salem
on Feb 2, 2012 at 3:20:26 pm

Losing files on the Canon Vixia HF200 is a serious problem. I've lost data on multiple cards of different makes and sizes. I'm not sure why it happens, but fortunately I've found a reliable solution to recovering the lost files. I've lost scenes on 3 different data cards using the Canon Vixia HF200. I googled for file recovery apps that would recover lost AVCHD mts files, and found a relatively inexpensive PC program called Media Investigator. For $50 I downloaded it and it has done an excellent job of fully recovering the lost files.

Although the program provided a single use option for $20, I chose the unlimited use license for $50. The app is simple and intuitive to use. It allowed me to select the type of files I was scanning for, then scan my Kingston 16GB Series 6 SDHC Card, which took under 30 minutes. In the search display, the list of found files increases as the scan continues. After it found 35 missing mts files, I chose a place on the computer to save the files, and it successfully saved all files fairly fast. When I opened the recovered AVCHD mts files on the hard drive, they played perfectly. Using another program, I was able to convert the recovered files to MOV files without any problems, so from my experience recovering files from 2 different SD cards I consider the recovery program to be reliable and a worthwhile price to pay for recovery of scenes. Also, Media Investigator was able to recover my lost TIFF files, as the Vixia HF200 allows for still shots to be taken as well.

I'm very disappointed that Cannon has not addressed this issue, as many people are losing precious scenes, and spending a lot of time and money to solve the problem, but I'm also extremely glad to have an effective low budget solution!!

I hope this info helps somebody. If anyone knows why the files are getting lost, please let us know - thanks! Cannon - are you listening?

Return to posts index

tiffany james
on Jan 8, 2015 at 4:34:00 am
Last Edited By tiffany james on Jan 12, 2015 at 6:24:37 am

A good way to recover lost AVCHD video clicps is to use some video recovery software. You may try this guide: Recover lost AVCHD video files

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]