I'm going to shoot an educational documentary in the Central Valley of California that deals with one of its crops. The central Valley is very dusty, bright and hot. It's going to be 90% exterior shots. Most of it will have to be shot mid day, as I cant control when they harvest the crop ect.
I'm new to this industry, and consider myself an amateur. As an amateur I'm just looking for advice.
1. Has anyone shot anything similar? What frame rate should I shoot in? I was thinking 30p or 60i??
2. Should I shoot in HD or SD? I'm thinking HD then down convert if needed?
3. I was thinking about using a UV or PL filter.. but I would like to capture the heat and brightness of the valley to help create a feel for what you're watching. Any ideas here would be great.
4. I've uploaded 18 presets in my XL from DVinfo.net . I was thinking of using preset 4 or preset 18. Anyone have experience with these presets? Or maybe an outdoor preset you use yourself?
5. I'm aiming for a 30 min doc, and am thinking a x10 ratio will be enough. Should that be about right? or should I go x15?
6.I would primarily like to stay a Doc film maker. Any fellow Documentarians have advice on that path? :)
I have other questions but don't want to be a pest. I appreciate anytime anyone has taken to read this.