FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting White Preset on XH-A1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cummins
Setting White Preset on XH-A1
on Aug 11, 2009 at 6:34:50 pm

I have two XH-A1s that we use in house. They're supposed to be the exact same model (one was bought several months after the other, early last year), and they seem to have entirely the same specs except for one item.

We synced up the cameras and started shooting, assuming I had the same white balance setting, using the "K" preset on both cameras. Capturing the footage later yielded a warmer tone from one camera. After going over the menus with a fine-tooth comb, I noticed that the main HUD was reading a white balance setting of 3200 on one camera and 3700 on the other! There doesn't seem to be a way to change this.

This worries me since they bought the same model camera to avoid things like this. Beyond manually white balancing at the start of every shoot, is there any way to change this? Is there a firmware upgrade somewhere?

Return to posts index

William Busby
Re: Setting White Preset on XH-A1
on Aug 16, 2009 at 10:07:17 am

Maybe I'm not following you, but the "Kelvin" preset is for dialing in a kelvin temperature by pressing the white balance button, then the indicator on the LCD flashes... at this point you use the scroll wheel to dial in whatever temp you want. The camera isn't "reading" anything. It's basically taking what you give it. From your description it sounds like one camera was set for 3200 and the other 3700, therefore the difference.

Return to posts index

Michael Cummins
Re: Setting White Preset on XH-A1
on Aug 16, 2009 at 2:21:57 pm

Huh. Didn't know that....

Thanks for your help! You've just opened up a whole new feature for me!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]