FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HF10 / HF100 editing - Standard def dvd

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Brown
Canon HF10 / HF100 editing - Standard def dvd
on Aug 6, 2009 at 1:05:44 pm

Hi

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm only just getting to grips with AVCHD files and editing and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Canon HF100. The quality when plugged directly into my 42 inch Full HD Panny is amazing.

Unfortunately though I do not yet have a BluRay player and therefore need to "downgrade" my movies to standard def to play on a standard DVD player. This is where my problems start . . .

The quality loss is really dramatic. If I record a movie on the HF100 and convert it to Standard DVD the picture is far worse than if I record the same movie on my old Sony (standard def) DV camcorder and save that to DVD. The picture is full of artifacts which are really noticeable.

It's nothing to do with editing because even if I record in highest quality on the HF100 and just convert directly to DVD, without editing, the problem is still the same. It's clearly a rendering problem of some sort but even with all the software settings at the highest DVD quality the problem remains.

I have tried the Pixela software that came with the camera (it's horrible!), I have downloaded trial versions of Sony Vegas, Roxio and Voltaic but none of them seem to do the trick?

Am I expecting too much? Is it right that my old DV camera should produce better results than a downgraded HD movie?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]