FORUMS: list search recent posts

canon xh a1 - shooting indoors with bright backgrounds

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bryan good
canon xh a1 - shooting indoors with bright backgrounds
on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:51:35 am

Hi all, i have shot a few scenes recently indoors with the subject standing in front of a window with bright sun outside. the subject appears in focus but very dark. I was shooting fully automatic mode. is there a simple solution to fix this problem? or do i just have to move my sooting point in future. any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: canon xh a1 - shooting indoors with bright backgrounds
on Jul 29, 2009 at 2:11:57 pm

Do a search in the Lighting Design and Cinematography forums. There have been some very good threads in the recent past about shooting subjects in front of windows... and the solutions.

Basically though in a nutshell your interior light levels were just waaaaay below the exterior light levels. If you want to do that again there are several solutions... move the subject so they are not in front of the window... darken the window with screen, scrim, neutral density gel, or color-correcting gel... or shoot with much more powerful interior lighting instruments (such as HMIs).

Those two forums have lots of good stuff...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Aug 2, 2009 at 6:15:18 am

In addition to Todd's comments, shooting automatic, especially in this example, is definitely a no-no.

Return to posts index

bryan good
on Aug 2, 2009 at 5:08:13 pm

whats the best setting to run on? manual focus? is there something i can do with aperture settings?

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Aug 2, 2009 at 8:31:47 pm

Having manual control over the aperture and opening it up would have corrected this although you would be blowing out the background, but at least your subject would be better exposed. That's about all you can do without any control over lighting. And even if I had control over lighting I'd still want control of the aperture.

I always shoot in TV (time value) mode, with EXP LOCK (exposure lock) activated. It's the same as running in manual mode unless EXP LOCK is deactivated, then the aperture is automatic. HTH.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]