FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended wildlife/outdoors microphone for VIXIA HG20 camcorder

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike montagne
Recommended wildlife/outdoors microphone for VIXIA HG20 camcorder
on Jul 25, 2009 at 8:57:01 pm

I'm thinking of hunting this bow season with my new Vixia HG20 (instead of my bow). I'm wanting recommendations for a microphone which preferably mounts on the camera, filters wind, picks up whispered narration at the camera, and will pick up distant elk bugling -- the same things we can hear out a mile away and more.

Can anyone recommend the best (and serviceable) microphones for this kind of application?

Much thanks in advance,

mike

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Recommended wildlife/outdoors microphone for VIXIA HG20 camcorder
on Jul 26, 2009 at 7:48:29 pm

Well, that's a pretty tall order... but doable. There are mics that do those things and do them well... but keep in mind that most of them are going to cost more than your camera itself (which may or may not be an issue, depending on how important the sound is).

To do well everything on your list I would heartily recommend the Sennheiser MKH416. I use this mic all the time, and it's nothing short of great. To use it (or any pro mic) with a little camcorder like the HG20 would require a little adapter to allow you to connect XLR mics. In the case of the 416 you will need a little phantom power source as well (I have no idea if the HG20 has phantom output, but I seriously doubt it). Usually a foam windscreen will suffice to take care of wind noise... although in really breezy conditions you'd want a "dead cat"... a blimp with a fur windjammer cover (but that's going to be true for any mic).

The MKH 416 isn't cheap, but it's not wildly expensive, either. Pricewise they are in the low-mid-range for high-end mics. I think right now they sell for about a grand or maybe a little more.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]