FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Sound at a concert w Canon XL1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wade gardner
Recording Sound at a concert w Canon XL1
on Jul 18, 2009 at 8:37:37 pm

Hi,
I've been working on a documentary about a band. I've covered them in the recording studio and have clean music and sound to work with from the mixing board.

Problem: The band has started to perform live. At the first show, I ran an XLR cable from the mixing board into the camera. Under Audio the Audio 1/mic controls I set rec levels to manual (both rec levels were set to manual) and the input select to line 1. I was able to control my levels. After taping the sound check and then listening to it, the sound was distorted. When the first band came on, I "bracketed" the sound levels setting my "high' level of signal (which normally would've been approx -12 db) and recording and then recording at the lowest end I could produce (IE- recording at the lowest meter level possible on my camera).

At the first show, I was getting distortion. I aske the sound guy if he could adjust anything. He said that he couldn't. Suffice to say, the sound was distorted.

As I prepped for the second show, I consulted with a friend of mine who works for a sound and lighting house. Based on what i described, he said that I was operating in the correct fashion and that tpaing a live show using my XLR1 and recording sound directly to mini-dv was a great way to go. He stated that the mixing board perons needs to keep the sound on his end at no more than zero db's.

Last night, I had the same issues. The sound guy at this different venue said that he couldn't adjust the levels from the board and going into my camera. Of course, I didn't want to "challenge" him on this.

I'm wanting to know if I'm doing this correctly based on my description above?

And, what would be the best way to capture this live sound?

Should I use my Cannon XL1? Or, should I use another method?

SIDE NOTE: Last night, when the sound guy first set my feed from the board, he was pumping thru the house sound of music playing and I was able to capture cleanly (which was encouraging. Only to be discouraged a short time later!)

The band plays this upcoming Tue and I need to resolve this beforehand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade

I asked the soundboard engineer if he could

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: Recording Sound at a concert w Canon XL1
on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:24:59 pm

You're doing everything right. The sound engineer is a jerk who doesn't want to cooperate with you and is sending a way too hot signal. I've recorded countless shows and events using an XL-1 for nearly 11 years. To deal with uncooperative or technically challenged technicians I recommend you purchase an inline pad that has variable settings to attenuate the incoming signal. They aren't expenseive and can save the day. I never leave home without a kit of pads, phase reversers, ground lifters and direct boxes to deal with whatever surprises I encounter. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Return to posts index

wade gardner
on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:30:29 pm

Too true! Really, thanks for the reply and the suggestions! I'll look into them for sure. I really appreciate the help.

-Wade

Return to posts index

david timmons
on Oct 7, 2009 at 2:26:56 am

I am having the same problem and i am going into the 2trk outs on the board. Should the 2trk level on the board be turned all the way down or should i go in somewhere else?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]