AVCHD card capture and live ingest HF100

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lynne robinson
AVCHD card capture and live ingest HF100
on Jun 27, 2009 at 12:27:41 pm

Hello,

Several questions here, so please bear with me! :

- I have a Canon HF100 with which I've shot HD footage onto class 6 cards; I have a non-intel Power Mac G5 Quad (PCIe), and need to find the best way to ingest the footage into FCP.
Does anyone know if there is any advantage to capturing via HDMI capture card using the camera to play the footage, as opposed to just using a card reader to ingest?

- Also, I plan to get a mobile set-up where I can do a live feed into a laptop to bypass compression. I've heard that Mac laptops are not up to the job of live HD aquisition/conversion, but have discovered that PC laptops come as quads (plus 2-3 HDDs) which are more powerful. Is it ok to put a live feed into the HDMI connection which some of these PC's have, or would it still be necessary to use a capture card? If so, would a Matrox mini or Black Magic intensity (in a Magma box) be better?

- I want to transcode to Cineform or Pro Res at the point of live capture; can I do this without FCP on the laptop?

- Would I need to use an external (esata) RAID to process and store these files, or is it ok to RAID the laptop's internal discs instead? (I won't be editing on the laptop, just capturing/transcoding/storing until I can transfer onto my desktop system)

I don't want to have to spend more money on this set-up than I absolutely have to, but I want the best quality possible too...

Help very much appreciated!
Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Lyas
Re: AVCHD card capture and live ingest HF100
on Jul 23, 2009 at 7:16:26 am

Hi

Just noticed your post.

I've recently installed a BM Intensity Pro in my MacPro, I'm not mobile ie using a laptop

Bit of a learning curve to learn how to tweak the thing but I did manage to capture via HDMI using my little Canon HF 10

This little camera captures to Internal Memory or Memory card @ 17 Mb/sec in highest quality setting.

FCP (Final Cut Pro) usually advises me in the browser window that that when I've ingested footage off the camera memory or card it has it @ around 14 Mb/sec.

I captured some test footage via the BM Intensity Pro via HDMI with the HF 10 and FCP recorded it @ around 21 - 22 Mb/sec

So, it does do the the job and at higher rate.

I'd be interested what the Canon HFS 10 can do via HDMI (I'm assuming it does HDMI)

I use a RR 2314 Raid controller card and a Firmtek 5 Bay 2.3 TB Raid enclosure that BM Speed Test says I can write to disk @ 204 Mb/sec and Read @ 234 Mb/sec

Firmtek are not taken to seriously round these forums, they do have some 2 x Bay enclosures which of course can be striped Raid 0

Firmtek stuff is a little DIY. When I set it up it cost me around US$1500

If you interested in Cineform / BM Intensity card, just google or search Vimeo for a guy called Henry Olonga, he is all over this stuff.

Good luck

michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]