FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D footage to 24p

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeffrey durkin
5D footage to 24p
on Jun 24, 2009 at 5:46:54 am

Hello guys,
I know this is covered quite a bit, but I'm confused by all the information, and workflows
out there.
I have a 24 fps Pro-res 422 timeline in FCP, and need to convert footage from
a Cannon mark II 5D to fit that format. I have compressor and cinema tools, what
is the simplest way? I need to do the conversion to the original clips, so I can work
then in with my other footage, oppose to editing in 30fps and then converting the exported
file.

Thanks
Jeff

Return to posts index

Zdenicka Novotna
Re: 5D footage to 24p
on Jun 25, 2009 at 4:25:53 pm

You can't convert efficiently 30p to 24p; you can do it the other way around w/pulldown. Why not just shoot and distribute at 30p, unless you are planning to go to film, but even then there are digital cinemas that will probably accept 30p, or am I wrong?

Return to posts index

Adam Cohen
on Jun 25, 2009 at 4:51:17 pm

24p is not necessary for internet distribution. Check out stillmotion videos on vimeo. 30p can look beautiful, stunning really. 24p is for film distribution, and if that's your goal, the 5DMarkii is not the best tool.

Return to posts index

Matt Devino
on Jun 26, 2009 at 4:21:58 am

If you HAVE to work in 24P, use compressor. Set the frame rate to 23.976 in the video settings, you will have to type this in manually. Then turn the frame controls on. Set rate conversion to best and make sure fields are set to progressive. DO NOT click the button at bottom that says "so source frames play at 23.976". This is your best bet for converting 30 to 24, it actually looks pretty decent, it does an even better job if you are starting with 1080i footage but the 5D is progressive. Really though, if you aren't finishing on film, work in 30P, 99% of humans won't know the difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]