FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon GL1 Loses Power/Shuts Down

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Trzaskowski
Canon GL1 Loses Power/Shuts Down
on Jun 13, 2009 at 4:17:41 pm

Hi there,
I bought my GL-1 in late september 2000 and have had a reoccuring issue. Sometimes the power shuts off (even while recording). I wasn't sure if maybe some others have experienced this or if there was a quick answer to it. At first I thought it might be the batteries I was using, but the newer ones I bought also do this. It doesn't always do it, but usually occurs at least once every time I do it and sometimes more than once. I have tried 8 different batteries (of various sizes and brands). What happens is that usually the camera seems to lose power for a quick second. This occurs often even while recording so it isn't just the power save when not recording. The camera will lose power for a second and then come back on and the recording will be paused. This can happen after a long time of recording or even after the first few seconds. It also happens when not recording but in standby mode (not the power save, but it shuts off and then on again). I will then have to re hit the record button. I am not sure if there might be just a loose connection inside or something? I take care of my camera so it isn't exposed to prolonged harsh conditions or getting wet, etc. Have other GL-1 users experienced this before? Do you know what may be the cause?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Canon GL1 Loses Power/Shuts Down
on Jun 15, 2009 at 7:27:59 pm

[Mike Trzaskowski] "I take care of my camera so it isn't exposed to prolonged harsh conditions or getting wet, etc."

Indeed, but the camera is now almost 9 years old. Possibly an internal intermittent main battery connection. Make sure the contacts on the outside are in good shape. If they are and you're still having issues then it's time to send it in for repair. Depending on how much you like your camera will depend on whether or not you send it in to Canon. It's pretty much guaranteed that the repair will cost much more than the camera is worth considering its age. Might be time for a new one.

If you know of a repair facility close by you might ask them to have a look at your GL1 first before you make a final decision on a course of action.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]