FORUMS: list search recent posts

Horse Racing Settings

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Rusak
Horse Racing Settings
on May 21, 2009 at 1:02:59 am

New to the HV30 and cannot get the best motion setting dialed in.
Looking for smooth motion,sharp but with as little shutter action as possible, for shooting bike and horse racing.with video usable for occasional slo-mo.
Will be played on computers only.
I've tried every combination I can think of and am starting to think it's an impossible quest beyond the range of this camera.. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Horse Racing Settings
on May 21, 2009 at 2:23:00 pm

Hey Jack...

You might be asking too much of your little HV30. Then again, you might be asking too much of any camera.

The thing is, "sharp" images with "smooth motion" and "as little shutter action as possible" are a little bit of mutually exclusive items. It's not quite like saying "I like to sleep in a perfectly pitch black room, but with lots and lots of light," but somewhat akin to that.

Smooth motion looks smooth and fluid because there is motion blur. Take footage with perfectly fluid action and look at a single frame... and it's going to be blurry (quite blurry if the action is fast). But take footage that was shot with a high shutter speed and while an individual frame might look razor sharp, watching it in motion will look quite juddery and stuttery. It's a bit of an either/or situation.

The best you can really do is to find a shutter speed that is a good compromise for you that has an acceptable sharpness to the image, and an acceptable fluidity to the motion.

That being said, I'm not sure if you can get that out of the HV30. I've not used one, but I have one of the HV20's that we bought as a crash cam and I think it's pretty much the same (someone correct me if I'm wrong). While it is a phenomenal camera for the money, its biggest challenge is anything much resembling a "manual" mode. There are ways to trick it into a more-or-less manual mode to help control exposure and keep gain from riding up, really good controllable shutter speed is probably going to be tough to come by.

For the "occasional slo-mo" that you want, normally you'd want to shoot 60i footage with about a 1/160th shutter. With those settings, you can slo-mo footage to 40% and still get footage that will cut fairly nicely into 24p footage. But you probably wouldn't want to shoot regular-speed footage with a shutter that high or it will indeed look stuttery.

If you just need this now and then, you might find some acceptable combos that get what you need out of the HV30. But if you plan to do a lot of this kind of shooting, I think you'll want to move up to a camera that has a more easily precisely-controllable shutter.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jack Rusak
Re: Horse Racing Settings
on May 22, 2009 at 12:05:05 am

Thanks for the input. I was afraid I'm going to be disappointed. I took a HVX200 shooting p2 to the harness races last fall and couldn't what I am looking for, so I guess it'll totally be beyond the little HV30 (though it does give a nice range of shutter speeds)
Maybe it's not possible. The sports guys I work with shoot with lots of "shutter" all the time because they like the effect, but I'm hoping for something more "normal" looking, just enough blur to give the illusion of motion, but not totally blurred like 1/60th second seems to give me in "straight on" close up side shots.
I assume I'm going to have better luck with 60i rather than 30p when shooting motion,though opinions on the web seem to be mixed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]