FORUMS: list search recent posts

Myself and many others not liking the low light performance of the XH A1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Roush
Myself and many others not liking the low light performance of the XH A1
on May 9, 2009 at 9:22:30 am

Hey Canoneers,

I have had this Camera for 6 months and I am still explaining away grainy productions as "cool grainy old school footage." Other videographers ask me how I deal with the terrible low light performance and look at me sympathetically.

A group of competititors and associates jumped from the Sony and Panny bandwagons onto the Canon and have been sorely disappointed.

It seems that you pretty much have to have the gain at 12db if indoors with no sunlight. No 9db setting and TONS of grain.

I really don't feel like I personally can get a decent image at over 30fps or 12db period.

Fine in sunlight, OK during wedding dancing at 30, 15, 8fps....we throw a big video light on the other cam for a different look.

Bottom line, pretty much everybody I talk to has suddenly come to the conclusion that this camera is very poor in low light which seems to mean anything indoors that's not a TV show.

Anybody have some good mid indoor settings in mid and really low light?

I almost always end up at 12db because the images seem very lackluster at 6db.

1 user I know says it takes A YEAR to learn this camera and that I should us a setting called PF vision indoors which is a pretty extreme preset but it does work with constant manual WB.

Thanks.

todd

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Canon XH-A1's - Dell Studio XPS i7, 920, 2.66 gig,6 gigs RAM (soon to be 12) 650 gig SATA, 1TB eSATA external, 3TB USB(storage). 512gig ATI video card, 28" HannsG Monitor, 24" Dell Monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]