FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing Canon HV30 footage

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerard Tetreault
Capturing Canon HV30 footage
on May 3, 2009 at 12:33:21 am

Hello

This is my first time using Creative Cow. I have a Canon HV30 camcorder, which is mini dv tape and I want to shoot on the HDV30 1080i setting. I have a HP Pavilion a6750f computer which is windows Vista 64bit. When hooking up my camcorder to my PC I am using the proper cables and I am connecting HDV/DV to the IEEE 1394 port so the camcorder is communicating with the softwares I've tried. First I tried Microsoft Movie Maker that was factory installed by HP and it does not work. Then I downloaded a trail version of Adobe Premier Elements 7.0 and it does not work. Then I downloaded a trail version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 and it does not work. When I say it does not work what I mean is that everything looks fine and is in sync but once I'm done the folder I'm trying to put the footage into is empty. When I speak to some of the techs from both Adobe and Sony I get conficting responses. Some tell me that you can't capture HD video on the trail versions so then I ask what is the point of trail versions if you can't try them. Other say that with Vista 64bit you can only use the Pro versions of these softwares and not the lower end ones I've tried.

What can I do, I've owned the camcorder for 3 weeks now and I can't use it. Can anyone help me? Thank you, Gerard

Return to posts index

John Kert
Re: Capturing Canon HV30 footage
on May 3, 2009 at 10:16:25 pm

I have an HV20 (same as HV30 less some minor improvements) and Sony Vegas Pro8. You should be able to capture on Vegas. Whatch out for these:
When you go File->capture make sure HDV is checked for HDV and DV for DV.
When in capture mode make sure you specify the capture file, otherwise it goes into a default file: For Sony Pro8 it's
Options->Preferences->Disk Management for DV, and for HDV it's in the capture window (capture folder). (for HDV the default is C:user).
Do a search your capture may already be in a default folder.

JK

Return to posts index

Matthew Cleland
on May 8, 2009 at 1:52:13 am

Hi Gerard,

I'm fairly new to these forums myself, and I also have an HV30. What I have been recommending to people is to use a program called HDVsplit. (http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm).

This is a very small FREE application (200KB), and does the trick nicely. You can dump the application files on to just about any PC that has a firewire port - obviously it must have enough grunt to handle the bandwidth of an HDV stream (see the system requirements on the above link).

Some of the features include:
*Real-time preview while importing footage(something that premiere lacks)
*A/V syncing
*Scene splitting for existing imported capture file.

Once you've captured the footage, you can import it into the editing application of your choice.

I hope this works for you - feel free to ask if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Matt Cleland

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
on May 9, 2009 at 9:40:06 am

I found that you can't capture HDV in CS4 so that part makes sense.

The other part is that I find you need to go into the camera and tell it to either export in DV for DV, or AUTO or HDV when importing HDV.

YOU CANT CHANGE THESE SETTINGS WITH THE FIREWIRE CABLE INSERTED....LEARNED THAT THE HARD WAY TOO.

Good luck,

Todd

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Canon XH-A1's - Dell Studio XPS i7, 920, 2.66 gig,6 gigs RAM (soon to be 12) 650 gig SATA, 1TB eSATA external, 3TB USB(storage). 512gig ATI video card, 28" HannsG Monitor, 24" Dell Monitor.

Return to posts index

Jake McGinty
on May 26, 2009 at 10:46:19 pm

Hello there - I was in the exact same boat as you when I first got my HV20 (basically the same camera with a different paint job). I found this site, which is a godsend:

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/07/13/canon-hv20-24p-pulldown/

That goes over all the ups and downs of each method for both capturing (easy) and pulling down from 60i to 24p (difficult, because canon camcorders don't flag frames properly in the 60i stream). If you need help, I'll try my best, since I know how much of a headache it was for me at first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]