FORUMS: list search recent posts

XH A1 & Crank 2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mart Parker
XH A1 & Crank 2
on Mar 30, 2009 at 1:19:54 am

Does anyone know which transfer house was used for Crank 2 ?

I'm intruigued that the production used the XH A1's, but one thing confuses me. Post houses that offer film-outs LOATHE the Canon Frame mode and warn against using it for a film out like the plague.

Does anyone know if they used 60i straight for shooting, and then deinterlaced? Nothing on the web yet offering details.

thx

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: XH A1 & Crank 2
on Mar 30, 2009 at 3:18:28 am

[Mart Parker] "Post houses that offer film-outs LOATHE the Canon Frame mode"

Do they still? I wonder why. I frequently shoot XLH1 footage in 24f mode as well as 35mm film at 24fps... and have to say that they import, cut, and perform exactly the same, frame for frame.

Perhaps their troubles came from earlier efforts to do filmouts from Canon 24f when shot in standard def mode rather than high def. Canon's standard def 24f footage comes in as 24fps footage but in a 60i wrapper. However, 24f in HDV mode indeed comes in as true 23.976 progressive footage... I use it in 24p uncompressed 10-bit HD projects all the time, in exactly the same setup as if I was doing a project for a 24fps filmout, Panavision Genesis footage, or if I was dealing with a 1080 digital intermediary from 35mm-originated footage.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mart Parker
on Mar 30, 2009 at 10:57:43 pm

Todd thanks for your time. More questions!

**Do you edit for film-outs specifically with Canon footage?

**Would the Canon 24p HDV require any deinterlacing to prepare for editing on a 24p timeline?

I have been toiling over which of the new breed of camcorders to buy, with an emphasis on having an accurate 24p transfer to film.

There are many posts out there about the Canon XH A1 not having "true 24p".
I think much of that misinformation out there maybe stemmed from (correct me if I'm wrong):

Canon Frame Mode on the standard DV cams was a "simulation: of the 24 frame look.
The Canon HDV 24p actually records each single frame progressively, but using an interlaced method.

Canon is sketchy on the details, but it sounds like yourself and many others have been dragging the footage into a 23.97 timeline with no problems.

thx

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 31, 2009 at 3:50:20 am

[Mart Parker] "Do you edit for film-outs specifically with Canon footage?"

I can't say that I exactly have done a film-out with the Canon footage. But I've cut footage for film-out that was Genesis in origin, and I used the same exact project settings and parameters for the Panavision footage that I use with XLH1 footage, so I can't imagine why there would be any difference as they look and function exactly the same way.

Maybe some systems treat the video differently than others, I'm not sure... I can only speak for mine. I'm cutting in the PC world on a Boxx computer, Matrox AXIO LE guts, editing with Premiere Pro CS4 (probably switching to CS4 soon). We start jobs as Matrox HD 1080p Uncompressed 10-bit 23.97fps projects. Usually footage is captured as uncompressed 10-bit Matrox AVI files via HD-SDI. Occasionally though to save space on a really big project we have made the initial capture as HDV via firewire. As far as frame rates etc. go, the footage is exactly the same.

[Mart Parker] "sounds like yourself and many others have been dragging the footage into a 23.97 timeline with no problems"

Yep, do it all the time. Did it today, in fact, with no issues at all.

I don't doubt that some people have had problems dealing with the footage, and maybe we're just lucky or have exactly the right system for dealing with it... but it always works exactly as it should here. Knock on wood.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mart Parker
edit and export of 24f
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:00:37 pm

Todd

So for a filmout, would I shoot 24f with the 2:3:3:2 cadence selected?

My import setup would be 1080i/23.97 fps/2:3:3:2 pulldown ? If the 24f is still in a interlaced wrapper, do I have to deinterlace on export?

How do you handle your Genesis footage for export?

thanks so much

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: edit and export of 24f
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:18:47 pm

[Mart Parker] "would I shoot 24f with the 2:3:3:2 cadence selected?"

I've never done a filmout with Canon footage, so to be honest I'm not sure. That would be a question best for whatever filmhouse is striking your print.

[Mart Parker] "If the 24f is still in a interlaced wrapper, do I have to deinterlace on export?"

Despite what some people have said, I'm not sure 24f is in an interlaced wrapper... at least it certainly doesn't seem to be. Yes it is in an interlaced wrapper if you shoot in standard-def mode, but in HDV mode my 24f footage captures as true 23.976 progressive footage and imports into a 23.976 project perfectly and I cannot tell there is any kind of wrapper. If there is one, it certainly is undetectable. Unless you get advice from someone smarter than me (which is very likely), I would think that you do not have to deinterlace on export.

[Mart Parker] "How do you handle your Genesis footage for export?"

I'm gonna have to play dumb here, as I simply don't remember. The Genesis project I did, the client brought the footage on their own drives and I cut exactly to their parameters. I probably was using a 10-bit uncompressed 1920x1080 23.976 Matrox HD project, and just exported as the same.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Daniel He
Re: edit and export of 24f
on May 9, 2009 at 6:34:06 pm

RIOT! was the post house on crank deuce

Return to posts index

Harrison Reinisch
on May 13, 2009 at 5:20:38 am

what im wondering is how you use a camera that cant zoom and focus at the same time for a holly wood movie

Return to posts index

Daniel He
on Jun 20, 2009 at 6:28:51 am

It fit the film's style:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]