FORUMS: list search recent posts

which camera?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Linzer
which camera?
on Jan 8, 2009 at 9:19:58 pm

Hi, I own a Canon XL1 and XL1S camera and having been editing in Premiere for the last five years. My experience is still pretty limited. You can see a typical project at homesteadfair.com These are the type of things that I'll be continuing to do. I want to move to HD but find it somewhat more confusing than SD was. One questions is, which camera do I buy. I've looked at the new Canon XH G1s, XHA1s or the Sony PMW-EX1 but like I said, I'm having I hard time sorting things out. For instance the quality difference between interlaced and progressive. Is it real? The different codec and file sizes 1920x1080, 1440x1080 etc. The difference between formats. If HDV is an older format is it going to be around in the future. I don't want to get stuck with unsupported formats. As you can probably tell from my questions I'm a little confused by all this. Then there the questions of editing. I'm comfortable with Premiere and would like to stay with it. At some later time I will purchase a second camera. If you think you can help or point me in the right direction with articles on HD or any reviews, great . I'm sure these are better cameras than my ability but I want something that has the capability to produce pro quality video. I've compared the XH A1s and the XH G1s on the canon's web site and I'am not sure what the difference is between the two. Is there a difference in the image quality? What about the the XL H1S or the XL H1A? Thanks Gary

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
Re: which camera?
on May 27, 2010 at 2:44:33 am

I'm in the same boat, having 2 XL1s' and an XL1. Looking closely at the XHA1s. Everything I've read, and researched shows me that the quality is the same on all the newer HD canon cameras, well, aside from the new XF-300/305 series. We use FCP; so I can't even begin to give you any feedback on Premiere. FCP will handle the new format, no problem.

I really don't like the idea of not being able to mount the camera on my shoulder, as I can with my XL1s; but there are some good shoulder mounts that may suffice. The only thing that really concerns me is the tape path issue. That was what kept my camera going to New Jersey every couple years, all head related issues. I do like having the tape backup though.... The 6 pin firewire is promising, although, I wish my ol' firestore FS-4 HD had a solid state drive!

Return to posts index

Albert Croteau
Re: which camera?
on May 26, 2011 at 2:46:39 am

I own a XF 300. I have no problems with Premiere Pro. It might sometimes take a while to import files, but after it works great. However, you must have a computer strong enough to manage the 50mbps. I use a quad core with 8Gb or ram

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]