FORUMS: list search recent posts

alternatives

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david grantham
alternatives
on Jan 7, 2009 at 6:01:01 am

I've got an XL2. I like it, but I can't get the depth of field I'd like without an adapter and different lenses; and of course it uses DV tapes.

I hear that the newest still cameras with video capability have full 35mm-style DOF and will do HD to solid state media. Do these represent a practical alternative to a prosumer DV camera (regardless of HD vs DV)? Can I assume that if they had a full range of shutter speeds and frame rates (probably a big if) they would surpass the XL2? If not, would the XL2 only have the advantage over these for 24p production, or are there many other advantages to the XL and other prosumer cameras over these new video-equpped 'still' units?

We're also now seeing consumer-grade video cameras claiming 'colour accuracy' and HD resolution for under a thousand dollars. I realize that they probably won't have any more DOF than the XL2, but can their colour fidelity compete with a 3 CCD DV res camera like the XL2?

Return to posts index

david grantham
Re: alternatives
on Jan 7, 2009 at 6:04:28 am

just posting to select receiving an email for 'entire thread' didn't notice the default was "just this message."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]