making a low budget documovie

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tielman Dewaele
making a low budget documovie
on Jan 2, 2009 at 4:51:06 pm

Hello,

I need some advice:

In march we are making a VERY low-budget docufilm in India, about a social projects and surfing thats been going on for a couple of years

I sold my camera a while a go, so we are looking for a nice handy camera.
We have to shoot the projects, surfing, interviews etc..

At the end i will edit it for a dvd and a preview on belgium mtv network.

One of our sponsers(magazine) has a sponser by Canon for still cameras. Canon have giving them a canon hf 10 Hd videocamera.
So we can use that one. The quality is pretty good, as it is full HD, but the manual functions and audio options are zero.
The other option is a Canon Xl2, who has more option then the one HF10, but it is mDV.
Im a bit unsure what to do.
There is no budget for a better shouldercamera(HD, digibeta...)
We have to buy a micro as well for interviews.

Who has used this handycam camera? What can i do with it...

T.

MacPro Intel Quad Core 4G Ram
MacBookPro Intel Duo Core 2G Ram

After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator
Cinema4D
Final Cut Studio

http://www.t-bloggy.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

ted rossi
Re: making a low budget documovie
on Jan 4, 2009 at 8:48:54 am

You may make a low budget documentary, but you can't skip on a good camera. Otherwise your efforts are a total waste and who wants to see bad footage?

The very least you must have is an canon hv-20 and a few lapel mics or a shotgun mic (azden) and a canon wide angle lens.
You're up to $1,200 with all the extras but at least you have a good chance to make a decent footage.

Where you go, a TAPE camcorder is a MUST, so you can have a good archive backup (tape). I'd never go anywhere with HD or card media where you'd have to download and monkey with those things in the field. Tape is the cheapest and best media. Some may argue with this, but I know how much hassle is the other methods when you're out in the field and no access to anything.... no laptop, no download to anywhere and so on.

I'd also take along a "ZOOM H2" digital recorder. It's a great backup for clear sound recording. I have two of them working in tandem when I know it's an important shooting and can't re-shoot.

Before you go and do your documentary, go out in the field and do some shooting and see how it goes. Learn all about the camera and how to shoot video. I'd say if you're a fast learner, you need 3-4 months of learning to produce a decent video.
Then editing is another matter.... and takes even longer to learn to be a good cutter.

Well, good luck with your venture :)

It's not the equipment you have that matters, it's what you produce.

Return to posts index

Tielman Dewaele
on Jan 4, 2009 at 5:13:35 pm

Thx for your comment.
I think i will use the Canon XL2. I know the camera well already so thats a plus.
Ive shot some documentaries before(with more decent camera's), but ofcours an adventure it will be.

thx

MacPro Intel Quad Core 4G Ram
MacBookPro Intel Duo Core 2G Ram

After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator
Cinema4D
Final Cut Studio

http://www.t-bloggy.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

ted rossi
on Jan 4, 2009 at 6:29:47 pm

Sorry, I must have not understood your original reply :)

Sounds like you already know what to do.

It's not the equipment you have that matters, it's what you produce.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]