FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mounting an XL2 to trussing

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Wiencek
Mounting an XL2 to trussing
on Dec 21, 2008 at 5:20:20 pm

Hey,

So I am shooting a concert event and I want to mount a XL2 to be a stationary camera on one of the stages fly railings. Does anyone know what type of mount I could use to achieve this. The camera will not move.

-Colin

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Mounting an XL2 to trussing
on Dec 21, 2008 at 6:29:19 pm

Easy breezy....

You just need a pipe/grid grip clamp with receiver, a baby pin that has a 1/4" threaded stud on it, a little tripod head (like a still camera head), and a safety cable.....

...and depending on the exact circumstances you might not even need the tripod head. You might be able to get away with just attaching the camera directly to the baby pin. Just make sure everything is cinched down tight, and don't skimp and forego the safety cable.

If that setup is unstable because it's too top heavy, you can undersling it. Instead, use two pipe clamps mated together with a baby stud and hang the camera by its handle.

Oooops!...just noticed I didn't put a safety on that setup... but it was just four inches off the floor for a demo shot. Definitely use one... and don't cinch it down tighter than is needed on the handle... after all it does have plastic parts and will break. This setup will be more stable, but might be more difficult to aim the camera exactly like you want.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Colin Wiencek
on Dec 21, 2008 at 6:32:14 pm

Thanks a lot. When would you buy pipe clamps?

_Colin

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 21, 2008 at 6:38:36 pm

[Colin Wiencek] "When would you buy pipe clamps?"

Whenever I needed them. :)

But, if you meant where, you can get them anywhere that sells film grip equipment. Good ones from Matthews, buy direct or cheaper from B&H photo... or you can get cheap ones from Amvona...

In fact, just ran across this cheap one from Amvona that is already two clamps mated together at 90°...

http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2816

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]