FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XH A1 HD DV error. PLEASE HELP!

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Monino
Canon XH A1 HD DV error. PLEASE HELP!
on Dec 11, 2008 at 11:26:19 pm

2 days ago I shot some footage with the Canon XH A1 HD DV. i was given 2 HD DVs and accidentally recorded the first 2 minutes in sd but quickly changed it to record in HD. After I was done with both tapes I gave them to my friend to edit.

Today he calls me and tells me that he can't see anything beyond the 2 minutes of recording. He isn't viewing the video with the XH A1 but he says he has an HD camcorder and there is nothing there.

I am very confused as I am sure I recorded and all the settings seem to be perfect. I was even asked to change tape after I recorded the whole of the first one. We are going to try to capture from the XH A1 HD a little later but do you have any ideas what it could be? We also had a sony HD camcorder (not as powerful as the canon) that we shot with HD as well that shows up fine.

PLEASE HELP!

Return to posts index

David Neidert
Re: Canon XH A1 HD DV error. PLEASE HELP!
on Dec 12, 2008 at 1:24:15 am

Well it could be a couple of things...

If you switched to HD 2 mins into the tape is it possible that you switched the frame rate as well? Canon's 24F and 30F frame rates are proprietary so they will not play back on any other camera or deck other than the Canon.

The other possibility is that your friend's camera is not registering the HD footage because the camera/editing system is set to only look for the SD footage. If his capture presets or camera is only set to look for SD the HDV won't show. You will have to capture them separately. Make sure that you fast forward to the HDV footage and set your capture presets/camera to playback HDV. The camera/NLE won't make the adjustment on the fly from SD to HDV. You will have to change the settings for each.

Hope this helps.

David
Director/Producer
Blind Eye Creative
david@blindeyecreative.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 12, 2008 at 3:11:07 am

I'm with David... betting the likely culprit is Canon's proprietary 24f or 30f modes.

Was the footage checked on location (and played ok in the original camera)? If so, I think that's your problem... because non-Canon equipment will generally play Canon 24f or 30f when shot in SD just fine, but will genereally not play it if it was shot in HDV.

If that's the problem, yes, you will need either the original camera (or another Canon camera, even something like the little HV20) to use as a deck... or one of the very few decks that can accommodate the Canon f-mode footage, such as the Sony M35.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

James Orlowski
on Dec 24, 2008 at 11:52:02 pm

This is an eye-opener. I had no idea Canon's 24/30F recording was proprietary.

I shot DV 30F on my Canon XH-A1 and had a hard time importing it when playing it in my Sony DSR-2000A deck. Premiere kept giving me a tape error.

Was this 30F DV recording the culprit?

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
http://www.rynoproduction.com
800-860-7966

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 25, 2008 at 6:09:51 am

[James Orlowski] "had no idea Canon's 24/30F recording was proprietary."

Yep, very.

[James Orlowski] "Was this 30F DV recording the culprit?"

Yep, likely, assuming you were shooting in HDV mode (in Standard Def Canon's "F" settings make no difference).

As said earlier, when capturing you are going to need to use your camera (or another Canon camera with "F" modes) as a deck, or one of the few multi-format decks that can handle Canon "F" footage such as the Sony M35.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]