FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XH-G1 Quality?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Neidert
Canon XH-G1 Quality?
on Dec 11, 2008 at 8:15:40 pm

I am not sure if anyone is having the quality issues that I am having with the G1 but would love to get some feedback. Everything I shoot... daylight, interviews (well lit), full scenes etc... just doesn't come out the way that I wish that they would. Maybe I am missing something in my settings but the color never seems to come out right. Everything looks slightly desaturated or dull. I have tried a variety of lights, White balance, everything and I can't seem to get rid of it. I put the footage through Color and do all sorts of adjusting but it lacks that certain pop. I have shot with other DV and HDV cameras and they seem to be o.k. but then again that has been a while. I realize that shooting HDV isn't the greatest format, but should it be that bad?

Just wondering.

David

Return to posts index

wayne dupuis
Re: Canon XH-G1 Quality?
on Dec 14, 2008 at 9:28:32 pm

David you must be kidding? I am asking because even with stock settings the G1... I have an XH) should be pristine. You don't mention what you are viewing on and if you are calibrating a monitor to show correctly. Even so you should be seeing a pretty close to skin tone with stock settings.
One place to look at is Wolfgang's -3db settings and upload that to a card in the camera. Get to know the in camera menu and get this set up as a starting point to uploading all the different color settings that the camera is capable of. I use Wolfgang Winnies -3 setting a good bit.
With that set and the camera set on HD 30P set up your editor to capture with these settings for HDV capture. Edit in HDV and after done output with Quicktime Conversion to 422Prores. Import this footage directly into DVDSP or Compress the output to SD 16:9 in Compressor if the file won't load into DVDSP. This formula should output really beautiful looking footage.
I've used Stib's film-like plugins as well as Shadow Highlight and have never had an issue with most other plugins using this formula.
Does your footage look good when viewed on the camera? If not try shooting full manual and adjusting your white balance to a white card in the light you are shooting in. Use the Zebras at 95% and trust your viewfinder. If this formula does not work for you. I'd have to suggest you have a tech look at your camera.
Good luck bud. You have a great camera. I love my XH and can't say enough good about it.
Enough Good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]