FORUMS: list search recent posts

XH-A1 getting too much noise in medium to medium low light

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh Hill
XH-A1 getting too much noise in medium to medium low light
on Dec 3, 2008 at 4:43:06 pm

Hi guy's my names Hugh,
I have been with CC for a while now and am trying to learn as much as I can on video and production but I am hitting a brick wall since getting my XH-A1 as when I shoot in anything less than perfect light/mid range I seem to be picking up to much noise when filming.
Am I doing anything wrong, I shoot mostly with DV at 16.9 but even if I use HDV it’s the same I mean I feel that my old Sony HC-14E handheld gave less noise so I know something is not right.

is there anyone here that may shed light onto this, btw I am a professional photographer so if you need any advice on cameras or PS issues you can always rely on me to give you my best answer.

Much appreciated.

Hugh

ps I know its short notice but I am shooting an event for a charity tonight 'ALLfie' and would really like to get it crisp & as noise free as possible for them.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
Re: XH-A1 getting too much noise in medium to medium low light
on Dec 3, 2008 at 5:30:07 pm

I already read the manual but its still a bit vague when it comes to NR, I know NR1 can leave a trail when filming but what about NR2?
Still I cannot believe that this camera famed for its low light capabilities shows high level noise in medium to medium low light situations.

Return to posts index

Christopher Kinsman
on Dec 8, 2008 at 2:58:10 am

Hey Hugh, just from my own limited experience with these cameras, if you let the camera apply too much gain you're going to get noise. I never found the canon to be that great under dark situations Try to limit the gain to +6 at the max. A couple other basic suggestions to look at (which you've probably already done)
1) Turn off ND Filter
2) Open Iris all the way
3) Drag the shutter to 30 (15 if you're desperate for low light)
4) Buy/Rent the camera mounted LED light kits. Many can be purchased for around 500 and will save you from artifact hell.

Sorry I can't be more elaborate on this camera. Best of luck!
Kind Regards,
Chris K.

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
on Dec 9, 2008 at 2:20:06 am

Chris,
Thank you for your response which I appreciate greatly, although I have been a member just over a year I don't post that often as I am a relative NuB to video being as photography is my profession.
I am however trying my best to learn as much as possible with the given time I have and will do my best to help others while I am here & hope to make some good friends in the process.

Thanks.

Hugh

Return to posts index

Christopher Kinsman
on Dec 10, 2008 at 3:55:18 pm

Nice to meet you Hugh! The Cow has saved me many a time! Turn to the users whenever you need. NuB or not - ask away! There are many great sites to help with a lot of tutorials. Right here on the cow I've learned some killer tricks. Also check out Zacuto and Ken Stone. Someone else might be able to chime in on helpful sites. If you learn the basics, exposure, framing/composition, focus etc... the rest is about really learning your camera and then shoot - shoot - shoot. As you progress and max out your cameras capabilities - you'll start to learn what extras you need. It's really all about time behind the lens. Practice will make pretty darn close to perfect. Unfortunately, most people are in a hurry and want one post/book/video to make them the next great cinematographer/videographer -- doesn't work that way.
Best of Luck,
Kind Regards
Chris K.

Return to posts index

Miles Johnston
on Dec 10, 2008 at 10:01:58 pm

I was shocked at the serious noise level that erupts from nowhere in low light, with the XL-H1. I have found the Canon to be vertually blind in Low light. My older Canbon XL-1 has better pictures in SD in low light, or just ambient hall lighting in a lecture theatre. Best to keep off the auto setups.

Return to posts index

wayne dupuis
on Dec 14, 2008 at 9:43:46 pm

I can shoot my XH in pretty low light and I get what I see. Search the forums here and at DVinfo.net for presets. Check the web for Wolfgang Winnies -3db preset.

Look in the menu and set the camera to -3db output for one, and load Wolfgang's preset.
Light the scene, load wolfgang's -3db, white balance or dial in a white balance using the preset K method. (5400k is a good place to start) Set the camera's switch to the uppermost setting for no gain (-3db) Aim the centre of the viewfinder at a neutral source of light (not too dark, not too light) and hit the "lock levels" button. Re frame the shot and take some test footage. What you see in the viewfinder is what you should get on your monitor after you capture.

All that said. Flat panel monitors suck wind big time unless they are of a very high level. RE: (apple monitors are great) others not so much, especially if they do things like "super contrast" etc, which in my opinion blows out the shadows and portrays banding etc.

The XHA1 has proven over and over again to take great footage; even in low light.
Do some looking around, and you will see for yourself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]