FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Repair is a rip-off especially for XL-XH owners club

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Biddle
Canon Repair is a rip-off especially for XL-XH owners club
on Dec 2, 2008 at 4:40:47 pm

I want to start out by saying that I love Canon equipment. I have three XH-A1's, a HV30, HV20, 40D and lenses. I'm not mad because I had a camera not work. I'm furious because as a member of the Canon XL-XH owners club (buy a prosumer camera and register and your in) you are supposed to get a $95.00 annual maintenance in lieu of the regular $240 that "non" owners club members must pay. After sending in two cameras at different times the first bill was paid out as a $260 charge. Problem was occasional dropouts. An office associate paid the bill without a second look. I sent out a camera at the end of November and after not receiving a email that they received it I called and after a long discussion found out it was a $260 charge for repair. This is the part that started the downhill slope.

When I asked the sales rep why it was $260 and not the $95 charge she actually laughed under her breath and asked where I came up with "that number". When I told her about the membership she rudely put me on hold and I waited for a good five minutes. She then informed me that they had to "check, clean, and adjust to factory specifications" and thats why the charge was more. If you read the owners club agreement that is the EXACT wording for the discounted annual maintenance agreement. I pointed out that was what annual maintenance was for and she fired back with I sent my camera in with problems so it cost more.

Sending a camera in when it has a dropout issue suddenly develop is what Annual Maintenance is for. It's like a car garage changing your oil for $30, but if the light came on to tell you to change it they charge 3 times more. Aside from the rude, misinformed associates for Canon that I have had to deal with, spending $520 for "annual maintenance" as defined by Canons own terms that is supposed to be $190 is ridiculous. They have your camera and heaven forbid you actually need it back to make a living and can't afford the time to have them send it back and then send it out to somewhere else.

And that's the kicker Canon owners. I paid almost $400 extra on each of my 3 XH-A1's for a 4 year extended Mack warranty from B&H. I could send it to them for FREE repairs. I sent it to Canon because I figured the $95 charge was reasonable and insured that my camera and lively hood would be serviced in a way that allowed me to make a living with quality equipment that I paid good money for. Instead I get the quality repair (I'm not doubting Canon's repair tech abilities) for 3X the cost.

Canon needs to address the fact that their employees do not know about this "mysterious" discounted rate, apply it to customers who deserve it, and not pull a Sears and Roebuck bait and switch with repair cost.

I would have sent this to a sales manager, but Canon is so large they don't have time for customer complaints - unless you want to wait on hold forever. The contact us tab can be summed up as saying tech support, advice, and where to buy. Canon, another big company that is slipping away from the customer.

So when is the Scarlett coming out again 2009, 2010, 2011...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]