FORUMS: list search recent posts

miniDV or HDV tapes?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Hanson
miniDV or HDV tapes?
on Nov 10, 2008 at 9:18:26 pm

I saw on the product description for the XH-A1 that it takes miniDV tapes. Can you use regular miniDV tapes for this camera? I assume there must be a quality difference between the HDV version of miniDV.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Nate*

* Author has no real-world experience; he works in the plastic-bubble world called "Public Education".

Return to posts index

William Busby
Re: miniDV or HDV tapes?
on Nov 10, 2008 at 10:25:14 pm

This is asked quite frequently and the answer never changes...

There's no "quality" difference, the data is the same. The only factor is using a high grade tape will greatly lessen the chance of HDV dropouts.

Return to posts index

Nate Hanson
on Nov 10, 2008 at 10:36:59 pm

Then my follow up question is, can I use my cheaper Canon Elura 85 hand-held camcorder to transfer the tape data to my computer, rather than using an expensive camera as a tape deck? If the data on the tape is the same, it should transfer out through firewire the same, right?

Nate*

* Author has no real-world experience; he works in the plastic-bubble world called "Public Education".

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Nov 11, 2008 at 12:13:53 am

That's not a HDV camera... so no, you can't use it as a HDV playback source obviously.

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Nov 11, 2008 at 12:17:39 am

I forgot to add... you can buy a used HV10 or 20, or a new HV30 to use as a source deck and also you would have a fairly decent backup cam.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]