FORUMS: list search recent posts

simple question about adapters--please help me!

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Renata Sheppard
simple question about adapters--please help me!
on Sep 15, 2008 at 3:43:15 pm

I am a novice so this question may sound very first grade, but I lost my power adapter for my Canon HV20--I was wondering what is the best way to replace it? Is there a generic adapter that I can just use? The voltage is 8.4 (- @ +). I don't know enough about power and voltage but I figured that the adapter is generic and based on voltage not that the one they send with the camera is totally unique to that camera....so if I go to Best Buy and ask for an adapter of 8.4V will they be able to help me? Or should I order one from Amazon that says specifically Canon HV20 replacement for $30? Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Mark McFarlane
Re: simple question about adapters--please help me!
on Sep 20, 2008 at 1:08:06 pm

There are 5 important criteria for power 'adaptors':

1) Is the output AC or DC voltage? (most are DC but some are actually AC)
2) What is the voltage?
3) What is the polarity of the connector (is the center the + or -)?
4) What is the size and shape of the connector?
5) What is the maximum amperage the adaptor can deliver (usually measured in milliamps)?

If you match the first 4, and make sure the new adaptor can output current greater than or equal to the original adaptor, you should be fine. If you take your power adaptor specs into a Radio Shack along with your camera they should be able to match something for you and guarantee it will work correctly.

Mark McFarlane

Return to posts index

Mark McFarlane
Re: simple question about adapters--please help me!
on Sep 20, 2008 at 1:11:33 pm

One caveat to the above, if you get any of the first 3 wrong, you can seriously damage your camera and have an expensive repair bill.

For $30, if you aren't in a big hurry, order the Canon one :)

Mark McFarlane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]