FORUMS: list search recent posts

a FINAL solution to the FCP - XHA1 problem?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Haley Hamlin
a FINAL solution to the FCP - XHA1 problem?
on Aug 18, 2008 at 4:14:18 am

I have been pulling my hair out trying to solve this one for the past 7 hours, and I am at a dead end.
Someone please help!

For the first time I am shooting with a Canon XHA1. (I am a proud HVX-200 owner)

HDV is really not my thing, (nor is Canon) and I am starting to remember why!

So I go to capture, but NOTHING will work. NOTHING! FCP just wont recognize my camera.

Here is what i am doing:
1. Shooting HDV60i (I triple checked)

2. In Menu settings, before anything is plugged in and FCP is open, I make sure that Im in Playback STD HDV, Downconvert off.

3. Firewire plugs in to camera, FCP gets open - and it says that no firewire device is attached.

4. So I press 'continue' to disregard the error, and go with the easy setups. HDV, 60i, 29.97 set up. and then when i press OK it says that i do not have an HDV firewire device plugged in.

(BTW - I take this SAME firewire cord and plug in my SONY DSR-11 and it works like a charm)

I trashed my prefs twice. Zapped pram. Upgraded FCP from 6.0.2 to 6.0.4

It will not recognize this camera in imovie HD either.

In system profiler it isnt showing the Canon under firewire devices at all - it goes blank and weird and just says that nothing is really attached - only that it is an 800 max connection (when the cam is plugged in)

I made sure that NO other external hard drives are attached.

I tried capturing with the LCD screen in and out.

I tried with AV to DV both on and off.

Ive been through all the forums on many websites and have done all of the above but to NO avail.

I am a 15 year editor - and have ALWAYS had problems with FCP and Canon Cameras, especially when SONY and PANNY decks and cams have previously been on that same system.

Am I missing anything? I really hope so. Unless, this Camera just does not work at all on some FCP systems? That would be a shame.

FCP 6.0.4
Mac Pro Dual 3gig
5g RAM
Canon XHA!
Quicktime 7.5

Ive tried that on-dv function both on and off

and every single combination therof with all these above settings combined.

Now almost 8 hours later and I am at a complete standstill.

By the way, I shot some SD footage and the Canon will NOT recognize FCP using standard DV NTSC footage either - I am still getting an error message where the device is unrecognized.

Ive probably done a few other things too I cant remember because it is all one big blurry mess.

What is weird is, is that someone just dig'd with this camera yesterday, and had no problems, doing exactly what I did, on another system. Albeit a much cheaper, shittier system. This is not working on my system, which is a much, much better system - WTF ?????

Please help if you can. Or is this camera just unreliable altogether?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

William Busby
Re: a FINAL solution to the FCP - XHA1 problem?
on Aug 19, 2008 at 6:42:57 am

I don't cut with FCP so I can't offer much help, but I can say that sometimes all it takes is a simple step missed and the device recognition issue may crop up.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Aug 19, 2008 at 7:06:00 am

I don't cut with FCP so I can't offer much help, but I can say that sometimes all it takes is a simple step missed and the device recognition issue may crop up.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

Return to posts index

David Foster
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:50:17 am

From what I've read from your post, it appears that you're so close.
What I do differently is I set the vtr to hdv (not auto), downconversion to off,
then I turn off the camera. Plug in FireWire to computer, then to the camera. I find if the
FireWire is already plugged into the computer, sometimes FCP doesn't see the camera.
So, plug FireWire into computer, then the camera. Now turn the camera on, then launch FCP.

That should do it. If not, check and see in the xha1's LCD screen and see if the dv-in symbol is
flashing or not. If it is flashing, that more than likely means the camera's FireWire port is damaged/shot
due to the camera being plugged into FireWire while turned on. Otherwise, if your hdv footage is shot in 60i,
any other hdv camera can play it, so you could use a Sony or whatever brand to get your footage logged.

Hope this helps.
Dave foster

Return to posts index

David Foster
on Aug 22, 2008 at 1:14:39 am

One thing I forgot to mention is make sure you have no other FireWire
devices connected to your computer when hooking up the Canon.

David Foster

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Jan 19, 2009 at 11:29:01 pm

does that flashing message definitely mean the camcorder's firewire connection is shot? I have the same problem. Guess i'll be sending mine back if so. (I was very careful to make sure camera was off when plugging in firewire so that's why i'm just double checking you are sure this means it is broken - sorry to question you!)

Return to posts index

David Foster
on Jan 20, 2009 at 6:22:24 am

If the dv in in the upper left is flashing when the firewire is plugged in, then yes, I'm afraid the Canon's firewire port is toast.

Dave

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Jan 21, 2009 at 9:16:00 pm

hi all
i realised the problem was a dodgy cable in the end -
feel very silly but the same damn cable was working between deck
and the macpro at work and had died by the time i got home!

my camera was flashing greyed out where it should
say auto or HDV in the signal settings menu which freaked me out
but with a new cable it was all good.

1080i50 firewire basic setup worked fine for HDV deck control and capture.
haven't tried all the other functions yet.

all the best

matthew

Return to posts index

Randy Brown
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:40:39 pm

If the dv in in the upper left is flashing when the firewire is plugged in, then yes, I'm afraid the Canon's firewire port is toast.

or your firewire cable is bad like I just now discovered was my problem (after replacing my FW card and jacking with XHA1 settings)...thanks for this thread though as it is what made me consider the cable as the last resort!

Return to posts index

Sam Robinson
on Feb 27, 2009 at 12:22:52 am

I"m having same problem as haley. It's a nightmare.

Has anyone come up with a solution yet?

Haley please tell me you have?

XHA1 is not recognized at all on FCP. I have the latest upgrade. It works fine with Adobe Prem Pro. I filmed in 25F.... nothing.

Help?

Real men eat quiche

Return to posts index

sam Robinson
on Mar 2, 2009 at 10:53:40 am

It seems the firewire socket on my mac book pro was dodgy. I had restart the computer whilst pressing CMD, 'P', 'R' and it was either option or control all at the same time. Hold em down until you hear the restart a 2nd time and hey presto it recognised my camera.

Real men eat quiche

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]