FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XH-A1 recording format and downloading

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Bellantine
Canon XH-A1 recording format and downloading
on Jul 25, 2008 at 12:41:21 am

I am in the middle of production of a short film and the DP is using a Canon XH-A1 and recording in 1080 24f mode. He told me that I could not use my Sony FX-1 to copy the tapes to my pc because the Sony does not support that format? Does this sound correct?
Would I have to use a camera that supported that format to load into my pc for editing? If so what would happen if I used a camera that didn't, would it change the recording format?
Thanks for your advise and help.

Return to posts index

Trey Gregory
Re: Canon XH-A1 recording format and downloading
on Jul 25, 2008 at 1:26:38 pm

Jeff-
My understanding of 24f mode is that you can only capture it with a Canon camera that can record in that mode. So you'll need the A1 or an XL H1 to get the footage onto your system. If you try to use a camera that can't record in 24f, then the tape will be unreadable. It's basically a Canon-only format.
Also, you mentioned that you would be loading the footage onto a PC, make sure the NLE software you are using supports 24f as well. I know FCP supports it, I'm not sure about adobe premiere. A year or so ago, Avid did not support it, but they may have released an update.

Trey Gregory
ECG Productions - Atlanta
HD Production and Post
http://www.ecgprod.com

Return to posts index

Warren Morningstar
Re: Canon XH-A1 recording format and downloading
on Aug 21, 2008 at 4:52:17 pm

Premiere supports the Canon 24F mode, although you might have to download the presets from Adobe if you don't see them in the menu.

One capture solution is to get a Canon HV20 or HV30. Either one will play back any mode that the XH-A1 records. They're pretty good "B" cameras as well. And it's much better to wear out the heads on an $800 camera when capturing than wearing out the heads on a $4,000 camera...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]