FORUMS: list search recent posts

GL2 good for Events

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Fessak
GL2 good for Events
on Jul 18, 2008 at 2:46:31 pm

I am thinking of starting my own video business. Do people think that the GL2 is good enough of a camera to shoot events such as weddings and sweet sixteens for people?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: GL2 good for Events
on Jul 19, 2008 at 5:09:13 am

I used to have a GL2. It was my first camera. It works great in well lit situations; not the best in low light though. The only thing I disliked about my GL2 was that it doesn't have XLR inputs. So after a few years of having my GL2, I recently upgraded to a Sony PD170, which does have XLR inputs and works better in low light situations.

A new PD170 may be a bit more than the GL2, so want to save some money, a good option is to get the GL2 and purchase a BeachTek XLR adapter.

I would say a GL2 with the BeachTek device will be pretty good for starting in the wedding business. The only time you may have trouble is during the reception, although I was able to pull it off just fine at a wedding I shot for a family friend. It all depends how dark it is during the reception.

So hopefully that helps you come to an educated decision. Good Luck.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

Daniel Fessak
on Jul 19, 2008 at 12:12:59 pm

Yeah, I tried to test the camera the other day to see how it would go, and I shot something outside in a lot shade and it looked almost like it was with an everyday consumer level cancorder, but stuff in full sunlight was pretty good. Didn't know if it was the camera or my tv.

Do you think you might be able to suggest another camera, one that is not as expensive as the Sony, that I would not have to worry about low lighting?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jul 19, 2008 at 5:41:11 pm

Yes. The Sony VX2100 is like the Sony PD170, except it doesn't have XLR inputs, so it should be a bit cheaper. I'm not sure how it compares to the PD170 as far as image adjustments. Of course the VX2100 still allows you to adjust the aperture, gain, shutter speed, etc, but I'm not sure it you can create custom presets. You might not need that feature either though.

I'd say the VX2100 is like, the competition to the GL2 but is very similar to the PD170.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303956-REG/Sony_DCRVX2100_DCR_VX2100_...

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jul 19, 2008 at 5:46:56 pm

here's a couple more links so you can compare what the cameras look like on paper:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/255811-REG/Canon_7920A001_GL2_Mini_DV...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/308853-REG/Sony_DSRPD170THPAC_DSR_PD1...

as you can see, the VX2100 is only a few hundred more than the GL2 and the VX2100 is at least $500 less than the PD170 (the PD170 has a few kits varying in price).

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Jul 28, 2008 at 3:51:29 am

Daniel,

I second Rob's assessment on GL2 to the last bit.
It is a very good camera for what you want to do with it.

There is a little Canon light (V10 if I'm correct) to attach to
accessory shoe for reception, but you have to be close to the action.
It lifts it up just about enough.
Another option (apart from beachteck) is to have a good mike
during the ceremony (MKE300 or Rode).

See some samples here, all GL2

http://www.digitalvideovault.com.au/galleryMovie.aspx?page=Movie%20Gallery

Mio

Return to posts index

Daniel Fessak
on Jul 28, 2008 at 2:26:37 pm

See, that looks pretty good, but when I have been doing some test shooting it looks grainy and not that great. Maybe I am just stupid and don't know how the gain works?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 28, 2008 at 7:27:23 pm

Daniel,

Just put the GL2 into manual recording mode and keep the gain at zero. Some of the other shooting modes will allow the camera to adjust the gain automatically, which is what you don't want.

- Don

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Jul 31, 2008 at 5:06:52 pm

HI Don,

When you have it in manual mode, what shutter speed and aperture do you usually start at for capturing motion on stage?

Ralph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]