FORUMS: list search recent posts

LANC control -- am I missing anything

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Fass
LANC control -- am I missing anything
on Jul 2, 2008 at 10:01:59 am

I have a Canon XL-H1 and recently tried (for first time) to use a Zoe remote zoom I'd bought over a year ago. I plugged it in but it didn't do anything...no lights, no zoom, no effect from buttons.

Sent it to 16x9 (Zoe) for testing, and they say it works fine.

Is there some setting on the Canon to allow LANC control, or is the circuit just defective?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
Re: LANC control -- am I missing anything
on Jul 2, 2008 at 2:03:09 pm

Hey man,
I am not 100% but my 16x9 rep was just here and i vaguely remember him saying something about the Zoe remotes only working on Panasonic and Sony

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 2, 2008 at 2:33:31 pm

Yes, I believe the XLH1 has some compatibility issues with some devices controlled via LANC, especially third party devices that weren't specifically made for it. I've never had an LANC problem with my H1, but I've only used it for remote starting/stopping our P+S Technik converter... I haven't tried it with a remote zoom controller yet.

I seem to recall in the past someone having the same problem with VariZoom remotes... if I remember correctly some VariZoom models would work not work with the H1, but one specific model would.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your camera, its settings, or your remote... I think they just don't happen to be a compatible combination.

I think I would ask the remote manufacturer if your model is compatible with the Canon... and if not, whether they have one that is.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Philip Fass
on Jul 4, 2008 at 12:04:53 am

Interesting and helpful. I think the guy said he tried a different Canon and it worked, so maybe the H1 is more temperamental.

So do you think an actual Canon remote is the only fair test? As I recall, they're way overpriced and have a fairly cheap build qualityl.

Still, I might try to sell my Zoe on eBay (it's just passed official inspection, after all!) and look for something that works.

Return to posts index

Philip Fass
on Jul 4, 2008 at 12:16:30 am

Found a possible clue: On the Varizoom website, all their compact Canon/Sony lens controllers say "not recommended for Canon XL2." Different camera, but maybe it shares a problem with the XL-H1?

The ones with integrated grips don't have this warning. Hmm....

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 4, 2008 at 6:29:23 am

Libec controllers work with my XL2. Perhaps start there? ZC-3DV is the current Libec part no. The LANC spec. between the XL2 and the XL-H1 is probably pretty similar.

http://www.libecsales.com/

- Don

Return to posts index

Philip Fass
on Jul 4, 2008 at 10:25:05 am

I read comments in the DV Info board that Canon uses non-standard LANC signals, which is why incompatibilities arise. Can't figure out how any dual-brand remote would bridge that gap between Sony's signals and Canon's, unless it somehow senses the signals that are needed and outputs them.

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
on Jul 8, 2008 at 5:48:00 am

Some of these controllers are specifically made for Panasonic's oddball protocol as well.

Todd

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's but changing so Sony or Cannon HDV soon.

Return to posts index

Philip Fass
on Jul 8, 2008 at 9:18:35 am

Right, but for controllers with a switch, it's always Panny at one setting and Canon/Sony at the other -- implying those two share a protocol. If I have to spend more money, I think the guaranteed solution is a Canon controller.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]