FORUMS: list search recent posts

a canon camcorder conundrum

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Davis
a canon camcorder conundrum
on Jun 27, 2008 at 11:14:16 pm

Here's my problem, I'll try to keep it as brief as possible. I bought a new HV30 last month before a dance recital I tape each year and our family trip to Disney World. At the end of capturing the recital, I didn't notice my foot on the firewire cable, got up and yanked the HV30 and it fell 30" onto a carpeted floor. Everything worked fine except the 1394 port. No problem I thought, fix it later or get a 2nd cam. We took the HV30 on the Disney World trip and it was great.

I just got a used HV10 on eBay but it will not play the Disney tapes - can see it during FF and it occasionally hits a frame but mostly nothing. I thought it was a problem with the HV10 but after more testing I found the HV10 will play the recital tapes but the HV30 will not reliably play them.

So the fall must have bumped something out of alignment in the HV30. It will play the Disney tapes but the firewire is dead so I cannot capture. If I get it fixed it will probably not play the Disney tapes anymore. I suppose I would get it fixed twice, first the port, then capture the video, then have the alignment fixed (if that's what the problem is). Of course that means 2 repair bills.

I thought I would check here first for ideas. Thanks, -Jim

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: a canon camcorder conundrum
on Jun 28, 2008 at 6:13:25 am

[Jim Davis] " I suppose I would get it fixed twice, first the port, then capture the video, then have the alignment fixed (if that's what the problem is)."

Yes, the alignment most likely what the problem is. You've also seen the logic on how to schedule your repairs. First the FW port overhaul and then the alignment. If your HV30 has composite or component out you could to do a transfer to another camera using those same connections.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]