FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon DV Playback Issue

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Bacon
Canon DV Playback Issue
on Jun 27, 2008 at 7:58:48 pm

Something strange is going on. I shot a whole bunch of tapes on an XL-2 that I rented. Now I go to capture on my Canon ZR200, which should have no problem playing back the XL-2 tapes and always has in the past, but it doesn't play properly. There's video but no timecode and no audio.

Other tapes play fine in my ZR200, but I put the tapes into my brand new Canon HV30 to see if that would fix it but it's the exact same: No timecode, no audio on the XL-2 tapes.

So I figure the XL-2 just didn't record audio or timecode. I take the tapes to a shop and the guy plays it through a basic Panasonic MiniDV camera and they work fine! I asked him if that Panasonic was special and he said no, just a plain old camera on basic settings. What's going on? Canon not compatible with Canon? I refuse to rent a Panasonic camera just to capture some tapes.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Canon DV Playback Issue
on Jun 28, 2008 at 6:07:51 am

[Kevin Bacon] " I refuse to rent a Panasonic camera just to capture some tapes."

Well you might have to. Or rent that same XL2 you shot the tapes with and use it to transfer your footage, because the tape heads on that rental are misaligned. That's why your tape's audio won't play on most other cameras because their tape heads ARE aligned. You just got lucky with that Panny, believe me. Canons are a bit funky that way. More often than not it's the GL2s that suffer from this more than the other models.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jerome Franks
on Sep 11, 2008 at 11:26:44 pm

Im having the same issue. I can hear the audio when I use the headphone jack, but once I use any program like FCP, or Windows Movie Maker, no audio.. Whats the deal? Is it a setting on the XL2 or the tapes that I use.

Return to posts index

Kevin Bacon
on Sep 13, 2008 at 1:05:26 am

That sounds like a different problem. My tapes weren't playing any audio at all. I ended up renting some other camera just to capture, I think the XL-2's heads were "misaligned" or something.

Return to posts index

Jerome Franks
on Sep 15, 2008 at 7:26:36 pm

im not sure what the problem is but its getting very annoying..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]