FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing in FCP/Canon XHA1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trent Anderson
Editing in FCP/Canon XHA1
on Jun 21, 2008 at 6:24:39 pm

I may have made a BIG mistake. I purchased 2 new Canon XHA1 Cameras. I am a Certified FCP editor. Does anyone know if ANYONE is going to produce/build/sell a VTR Deck, so you can log and capture HD from a MiniDV tape into FCP? I may be really anal, but I do not want to use my cameras as a log and capture device and wear them out that way. Someone said the new Sony HDV 35 MU would handle all 3 options, e.g. 60i, 24P and 30P from the Canon Camera, but when I called Sony, they said no, only 60i. Help. Trent Anderson trentsbiz@pacbell.net

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Editing in FCP/Canon XHA1
on Jun 21, 2008 at 10:00:06 pm

I have a colleague that bought a couple of A1's a few months ago but he runs a Windows based shop. He's away on a shoot today so I left a message for him to call tomorrow. We'll find out what he's using for a deck but I suspect it'll be one of his A1's. You're right though, that it's definitely not a good idea to use your acquisition camera as a deck.

Although I'm not up to date as far as knowing whether or not there is dedicated deck available now for capturing and output I do know that Canon HDV owners were/are using the little HV20 and HV30 Canons as a deck. My local broadcast supplier was selling a lot of them for this purpose a few months ago because they will recognize all of the Canon formats: 60i, 24F and 30F.

- Don

Return to posts index

Trent Anderson
on Jun 22, 2008 at 2:13:33 pm

Don: Thanks for your input. Yes, I have an HV20, but again, and maybe I am just anal, but I would like to have a DECK, like my older Sony DSR 11, or my JVC BR - DV 3000 rather than a camera, that is unstable.

Of course, they won't log and capture HD...or, Canon's 24 or 30 P. What I wish is that Canon would wake up and either produce a deck that is compatible with their formats, or have made a camera like Panasonic, etc. with like a 16GB Card in it, that you could simply remove and put into a card reader hooked up to the computer, and log the footage.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 22, 2008 at 4:46:41 pm

[Trent Anderson] "but I would like to have a DECK, like my older Sony DSR 11, or my JVC BR - DV 3000 rather than a camera, that is unstable."

I hear you. I've solved that problem by going tapeless. Well, at least one of my cameras is. I pretty sure that there's no professional deck out there yet for Canon folks. One this forum's leaders, Todd Terry, uses an XL H1 all the time for pro work, so if he sees this thread he may respond and tell you what he does. Who knows, he may be recording to something like a Firestore or something similar.

- Don

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
on Jun 30, 2008 at 11:24:58 am

Using an HV20 or the newer HV30 as a deck to play back and capture your XH or XL H1 camcorder tapes from works just fine. It's not a deck, but again you will not have any problems using this solution. Many people use it. I use it. It works. At the end of the day, there is no difference in quality. The HV camcorder offers you HDV over FireWire, in addition to Component out or HDMI out.

- Don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]