FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I edit AVCHD from Canon HF100?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Couchot
How do I edit AVCHD from Canon HF100?
on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:52:57 pm

I'll admit, I saw all the complaints about AVCHD being difficult to edit. But to my credit, I was of the understanding that Sony Vegas 8 now has AVCHD support. Well, if that's true - I must be a total moron. I can't find anything to open the .MTS files except for the Canon PIXELA ImageMixer 3 software the camera came with.

When I drop the .MTS files into Sony Vegas 8b, it says "None of the files dropped on Vegas Pro could be opened." At the suggestion of another poster in another thread, I changed the project template to "HD 1080-60i", however that produced the same error as well.

My one glimmer of hope came when I clicked "Movie Edit" in ImageMixer 3, and it gave me the option to save as an .M2TS file. I figured maybe that was the secret to getting a file able to be imported into Vegas. Nope, same error.

I've also tried some software called VirtualDubMod that is supposed to work with AVCHD files, but that software would only crash every time I would import one of the files.

I feel like I'm typing out the same exact request for help I've read so many times in the past... but for the life of me, I can't find a solution!

I just need a way to work with the full resolution files. Does anyone have experience working with this camera, and have a workflow solution that works?

Return to posts index

Craig Cooper
Re: How do I edit AVCHD from Canon HF100?
on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:39:52 am

As AVCHD is a tight codec to work with, you will need a powerful PC with at least 2GB of RAM and a fast graphics card. You will also need to install the software that comes with the HF100 because the codec will also be installed.

I am using SV pro 8b and am able to edit M2T files and render as I please.

Cheers Craig

Peace Talks Hamper War in Middle East

Return to posts index

Robin Davies-Rollinson
on Jun 29, 2008 at 9:10:37 pm

I have been able to open the m2ts files in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 and edit and export.
What I'd really like to be able to do is the edit in Premiere Pro.
I tried renaming the m2ts files as m2v and opened them easily in Premiere (1.5) They looked fine in the source monitor, but once they were dropped onto the timeline, they were upside-down as well as mirror imaged! I wish I could find a work around for this. Any thoughts?

TV Director / Lighting Cameraman,
Cymru / Wales

Return to posts index

Donnie Madrid
on Aug 12, 2009 at 9:02:29 am

Craig,

When you say a fast graphics card, does that include a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD? Also, do you think 160gb memory is enough?

Thanks,

-DM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]