FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XH-A1 good for a wedding videographer?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arif Syed
Canon XH-A1 good for a wedding videographer?
on Jun 3, 2008 at 5:08:42 pm

I plan on starting a little venture to shoot weddings, and as I was researching camcorders, I found the Canon XH-A1 to be really tempting, would you guys recommend it for weddings? A nice little perk is I have a Canon HV20 that I can use for the B-roll, and both being Canon and HD, would be valuable when editing.

Any tips?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Canon XH-A1 good for a wedding videographer?
on Jun 4, 2008 at 6:43:42 am

The A1 is a great camera and Canon sells a ton of them. Weddings require a camera that's good in low light and 1/3" chip CCD HDV cameras like the A1 are not as good in low light as say, a Sony PD170 which is the king of low light shooting and used by most wedding people. My advice is to borrow an A1 and try it in a wedding situation as a test. If you like the result then you'll feel better about spending the money on one.

- Don

Return to posts index

Arif Syed
on Jun 4, 2008 at 6:59:48 am

Sony PD170 is not HD, correct? Will that hurt me in the long run?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 4, 2008 at 6:29:43 pm

[Arif Syed] "Sony PD170 is not HD, correct?

Correct. Most people who are buying new cameras and want to future-proof their business are buying HD cameras. If most of your work is destined for the web then I would suspect buying a good camcorder-style SD camera makes sense. There is only one handheld HD camera I know of that comes close to the PD170 in low light performance in the 1/3" chip class and that's the new Sony Z7U.

The Sony PMW EX1 is also a handheld HD camera and it actually beats the PD170 in low light tests but the EX is in a different class in that it uses 1/2" chips. It's also more money than the Z7U.

- Don

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Jul 28, 2008 at 4:19:16 am

Don,

What do you as an experienced user / troubleshooter think about
this

http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=13265

well reported issue regarding the rolling shutter (in CMOS based cameras like Z7)
and flash used in wedding video situation.

Have you had a chance to experience this problem, or maybe you know
someone who did?

I am seriously looking at buying this camera, but before I spend $200 for hiring it for testing,
I might hear first what do you think about it.

Thanks

Mio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]