FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downloading video onto a MAC

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
arturo celleri
Downloading video onto a MAC
on May 20, 2008 at 5:20:56 am

I just purchased the Canon HG10 HD and I am archiving my videos on a PC. Now I have MAC G5 with Final Cut Pro that I want to use to edit the video. How do I get the video off of the Canon HG10 HD onto my MAC?
If there is no way to do it, are there Hard Drive camera's that can capture video that is useable on both a MAC and a PC?

Arturo Celleri

Return to posts index

jim cancil
Re: Downloading video onto a MAC
on May 21, 2008 at 12:39:45 pm

I use iMovie '08 ..but also have FCE and you can bring it aboard with 'Log and Transfer'. (I'm a FCE newbie) You must ignore the warning about disconnecting the power and PC. I drag the icon to the trash ..then pull the plug. There seems to be no options. Canon seem to not like Apple.

wetstuff.com
jims-garage.com
planecover.com

Return to posts index

Brian Berneker
on May 22, 2008 at 1:55:07 am

I don't know what version of FCP you are using but you should be able to just use log and ingest. I'm not a huge fan of the HG10 just because it's AVCHD - low bitrate high compression.

Lots of editing issues too because you need massive hardware to edit AVCHD and lots of apps don't even support it. Final Cut Pro makes you convert to 4:2:2 prores which is another compression cycle...

If I were you, I'd bite the bullet, take it back and get an HV30. Yeah, it's tape, but it's HDV at 25MB/s instead of AVCHD at 17MB/s and it captures and scrubs on the timeline like a charm. Plus it has a slightly larger chip for better images and a 30PF mode for nice progressive frame video.

Return to posts index

arturo celleri
on May 27, 2008 at 1:06:28 am

Thanks for the info. I am willing to return this camera but I do not want to go back to tape. Is there a better format to be capturing video to hard drive with? Is there a better camera that has better features that would be easy to edit with FCPro?

Thanks again,
Arturo

Arturo Celleri

Return to posts index

Brian Berneker
on May 27, 2008 at 1:19:57 am

They might be, but not to my knowledge without jumping to the next price point around $3000-$3500. I was opposed to tape at first, but after all the research, I had to make a choice, and in the end, the quality of the finished video won out over convenience. Read some reviews, write down a lot of specs, chip size, codec, resolution, bitrate etc., and find something that matches your needs well...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]