FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HF10 -

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Cooper
Canon HF10 -
on May 5, 2008 at 9:57:17 am

Hi All,

I just read a review of the HF10 and was wondering if anyone else has used it yet and is it as good as the write up?

I used the HG10 and was very impressed with the performance of the AVCHD codec it used. Since the HF10' bit rate is 17mb as opposed to 15mb on the HG10, I would imagine that it would be slightly better.

Cheers Craig

Peace Talks Hamper War in Middle East

Return to posts index

jim cancil
Re: Canon HF10 -
on May 9, 2008 at 11:37:55 am

Craig: I've only had mine for about a week. ...and only ever have done some very limited work with a Sanyo Waterproof cam over the last year - BUT, I'm very impressed with HD.

I got it to do product support not home movies or YouTubing. I made a little test run - using only full automatic and a large size. It takes a while to load ..and doesn't autostart ..but it's big!

wetstuff.com/movie/royal_era_test2-6.mov

Then there's this cool little application where you can change it to any size and adjust the play rate ..and come up with something most people could see easily. It's called dvcCast. Coolest thing... Here's the speedy version..

wetstuff.com/movie/large.mov

I'm sure there are real video people who could provide a better response, but I'm a Mac person who just wants sh/t that works and once I got past Canon's lack of support for our OS (really dismal..?!) the camera seems as if it's going to fit my need perfectly. You might also want to check out Vimeo ..there's plenty of posting there for this camera. Cheers.

Jim

wetstuff.com
jims-garage.com
planecover.com

Return to posts index

Craig Cooper
on May 9, 2008 at 8:53:57 pm

Thanks for the link to Vimeo site. I did check out the footage of the HF10 and am amazed at the quality of this small hand held cam. But after viewing a few clips I could not not view any clip anymore. I get the whole page except the clip. What happend?

Craig

Cheers Craig

Return to posts index

jim cancil
on May 10, 2008 at 11:50:50 am

.. on the Vimeo site, no? ..D'no. Also, google Host Media or Stage6 ..they host videos too.

Jim

wetstuff.com
jims-garage.com
planecover.com

Return to posts index

Craig Schamp
on May 18, 2008 at 4:30:05 am

I just got my HF10 today and cannot power it on. Has anyone else had this problem? I have tried 2 different battery packs, and after seeing one charge for a few hours, neither will charge now nor will they allow it to power-up. Even the reset button under the battery pack does nothing for me. I had high hopes for this cam, now sort of wishing I had gotten the Sony.

Return to posts index

jim cancil
on May 21, 2008 at 12:35:06 pm

Did you try the external power? ..no other advice.

wetstuff.com
jims-garage.com
planecover.com

Return to posts index

Craig Schamp
on May 21, 2008 at 2:27:03 pm

Yes, tried external power, and also tried external power while hooked up to computer with USB, taking Canon support's suggestion.

Anyway, I finally got a chance to return to the retailer, and simply exchanged it for another new-in-box item. Seems like a decent, very compact, consumer camcorder. I'm especially happy not to need tapes with it.

Return to posts index

Craig Cooper
on May 21, 2008 at 7:52:52 pm

Finally got myself the Canon HF10. Totally amazed by the quality of this little cam. I still can't believe what I'm seeing!

I thought that not having any moving parts that the battery would last longer than 80 minutes. I am trying to get the CB-819 battery pack which I imagine should last 160 minutes.

One question. Since this cam captures at 17 Mb per sec, Do I need a class 6 SDHC memory card. I understand that Class 4 captures at 15 Mb per sec.

Craig

Cheers Craig

Return to posts index

Benny Rietveld
on Jun 15, 2008 at 9:03:24 pm

Hey Jim,

I just got the thing myself- love it so far, at least for my purposes. I was wondering, though, have you dumped some clips into some kind of NLE yet? I did some Log and Capture with it into Final Cut 6.0.1, and it all seemed to work quite easily. Except for some horizontal "stretching". I know it"s user error, but I just haven't been able to figure this one out yet.

Benny Rietveld - Total Newbie
(Started life as a bass player and wondering why I want to get into film. Of course, I've always wondered why I got into music, too)

Return to posts index

jim cancil
on Jun 16, 2008 at 11:56:11 am

Benny: I've really not had time to test it well. I have FCE but little time to mess with it.. I made one little sales promo for a product I make in iMovie '08 that's a couple of minutes long: it's 960x540 ..a couple of minutes and 23megs. The quality is nothing special, but I don't have the time at the moment to dig into using the camera as it should.

I make products for airplanes and when business is slow; I work three times as hard to hold onto it. I have had time to make a simple case for it. I've sold a few on Ebay.

Jim

wetstuff.com
jims-garage.com
planecover.com

Return to posts index

Benny Rietveld
on Jun 16, 2008 at 1:25:24 pm

Thanks Jim! My, you are busy...

Well, I don't have a car (living in NYC now for the past 7 years and loving non-car life, as a California ex-pat), or a plane... But a waterproof case for the HF10 - now that would be interesting... I was raised in Hawaii and still like to go back there. Let us know when you make something like that!

All the best!

(Started life as a bass player and wondering why I want to get into film. Of course, I've always wondered why I got into music, too)

Return to posts index

jim cancil
on Jun 16, 2008 at 1:54:17 pm

Benny: Funny you mentioned... I got some optical plexi to make a box for the Canon so it can sit on a tripod in the shallows without me worrying that it's not WP. I only need to keep the remote in a heat-sealed, poly bag.

I take my little WP Sanyo and mount it on a tripod (sand bags to hold down) in the shallow for my kitesurf friends to ham up in front of, but want the HD.

Jim

wetstuff.com
jims-garage.com
planecover.com

Return to posts index

Benny Rietveld
on Jun 16, 2008 at 2:54:50 pm

Good idea! But I know what you mean - would love to take the Canon out on the canoe itself!

Return to posts index

Richard Tejral
on Jun 3, 2008 at 2:30:45 am

Hi everyone,

Just got the new HF10 Sat 31 May. I was in Florida on business and wanted to get some video of the Shuttle discovery launch. AWESOME Camera! Shot shuttle launce at high data rate 17 Mbps, 24fps, Cinema mode. Great video of launch, file is about 650 Meg! for five minutes.

PROBLEM, can't seam to get video file off camera's internal memory. Loaded Pixla SW on Dell D630 laptop. Computer sees the camera as a usb device but does not see the files I know are on there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]