FORUMS: list search recent posts

xha1 grainy under dark conditions

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthew chung
xha1 grainy under dark conditions
on Apr 16, 2008 at 8:26:29 pm

Hello

I was shooting a project on an XH-A1 camera and shot a scene which looked fine on the LCD. however, when looking at the footage later on a larger monitor, it appeared grainy.

Is there a way to avoid this using the LCD?

As another thought , I have a computer monitor which takes a composite vid (yellow) input and wanted to try that as a monitor with with xh-a1. would that work?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: xha1 grainy under dark conditions
on Apr 17, 2008 at 3:11:14 am

[matthew chung] "s there a way to avoid this using the LCD?"

Avoid using higher picture gain settings during low light shooting. That's probably what's causing the noisy picture. Checking for fine detail issues using the camera's LCD is not a good practice because there's not enough resolution. You need to use a good quality monitor while you shoot. Your computer monitor should provide a more accurate picture.

- Don

Return to posts index

Shane Rielly
Re: xha1 grainy under dark conditions
on Apr 27, 2008 at 10:48:22 am

Hey Matthew,

Like Don said, I'm pretty sure you had your grain cranked too much to get more light on your image. A trick you can use to see if your image is really grainy using the LCD is to push the 'peaking' button, which is just below the 'display' button. It's used to check your focus, but will give you a pretty good idea of how grainy your image is. I'm sure you know this, but also make sure you shutter speed is at 1/50 and your iris is at f/1.6 at your widest zoom.
The medium gain setting on the on camera toggle is 6db, but you can get to 3db if you go into the menu if you need to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]