FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon reliability concerns? PS, no kidding, I was about to buy 2 of these.

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Roush
Canon reliability concerns? PS, no kidding, I was about to buy 2 of these.
on Mar 30, 2008 at 8:51:57 am

Hi guys,

Seriously not trying to be a negative Nelly here. I have mainly used Sonys and my Panasonic DVX100 is my favorite camera ever by far but for the first time I was considering grabbing a couple Canons.

From my very first experience with Canons 15 years ago I have vivid memories of seeing lots of transport issues.

Now there are 3 MAJOR issues reported both here and at BHphoto.
Power supply (a known manufacturing flaw), firewire port issues and lens control issues.

They Sony's have my least favorite image but now I'm getting worried about the reliability of these Canons.

Again, this is not a Sony ad so please no flaming. Anyone had one of these for a couple years? Anybody used a Canon for 10 years like a PD-150? I have 1000 hours on my Panasonic with about 8 head cleanings and no issues. Does this sound like a Canon?

I really want to go with the A1s but 3 reviews out of 30 at Bhphoto describe the aforementioned issues. 10% failure rate.

Any thoughts? Convince me? Should I buy of give into Sony FX1 w/Beachtek?

Thanks....sorry, not trying to bum anybody out but this is my small business we're talking about and this is a big decision.

Have a great one.

S.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's but changing so Sony or Cannon HDV soon.

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
Re: Canon reliability concerns? PS, no kidding, I was about to buy 2 of these.
on Mar 30, 2008 at 9:13:16 am

PS, my only real Canon experience was a few shoots with a GL1 which I did not think was bad at all. A little red, but that's Canon.

Thanks.

S.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 30, 2008 at 4:06:18 pm

Well, fellow Todd, here is just my quick observation....

I was a Sony guy and a Sony fan for many years (and still buy plenty of Sony equipment, and have tons of their decks, montiors, etc.)... but our last three cameras have been Canons. And my next one very likely will be too.

I'm sure others definitely have indeed had bad experiences (when you crank out what are actually quite high-end devices and sell them for next to nothing there are bound to be some lemons, no matter what brand). However I can't seem to recall a single time that one of our Canons has let us down, had a mechanical or electronic problem, or needed service. They have always performed beautifully and are very reliable.

That being said, every one of our Sonys were workhorses, too, and I enjoyed using them. BUT... through the years every one of them had to go in the shop at least once... some twice.

Just my two cents...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
on Mar 30, 2008 at 6:19:41 pm

That's good news. I have to take these reports with a grain of salt but when I see 20 Sony reviews none reporting a problem and 30 Canons reporting 3 problems.....well, I'm a big stat guy.

The truth is that I have no brand loyalty whatsoever and Canon A1 really looks appealing to me.

Anybody else?

Thanks T2

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 30, 2008 at 9:17:01 pm

[Todd Roush] "The truth is that I have no brand loyalty whatsoever and Canon A1 really looks appealing to me."

My local broadcast supplier is selling boatloads of the A1s and they haven't had any buyers coming back complaining about major issues with them. The recent drop in the A1's price point is making this camera very attractive to today's buyers.

FYI this same broadcast house recently did a short comparo between an A1 and the new Sony Z7U just to look at picture quality and low light capability. Although I wasn't present to see for myself I was told that the Z7U beat the A1 in low light sensitivity (as expected) but that the Sony picture had more noise than the A1.

- Don

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
on Mar 31, 2008 at 6:00:22 am

Thank you!

I don't expect any camera to totally compete with Sony in low light because that's their thing. There's a great shootout comparison on dv.com that say the Canon is better than it's listed 7lux (which would be terrible).

I appreciate the input. I have to also bear in mind that people are FAR more likely to post if they have an issue.

Frankly, at the price they're selling them for I can afford to fix one.

I appreciate the positive input as I was almost getting discouraged.

S.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media

Return to posts index

Chris Dickinson
on Mar 31, 2008 at 3:36:22 pm

I have the A1 and even tho it at a software error soon after I bought it (the camera would turn on but I could not see anything on the LCD or VF or record anything - ouch!), my great Canon support ensured it was fixed ASAP in a couple of days - and they had a camera on standby if I needed it.

Since then - problem free. Prefer it by far over the Z1. Great to use, an provides images that keep clients happy :o)

Had one comment recently by one client - I did a corporate for him a few wks ago - shooting in DV mode. I think he has the Sony HVR-V1, and he commented that the Canon image was too sharp (compared to his DVCAM images) - saying how a fleck of dust on an interviewees jacket really stood out, and that it was more like HD footage!!! He said he'd probably have to use a filter in post production to soften it a bit!

There you go - someone having to degrade A1 DV footage to match Sony DVCAM!

I have used the XL-H1 too - took 3 units to China last yr on a film training trip. We were in freezing temperatures, and at altitude, and the cameras didn't cope too well - the LCDs got really sluggish (even if we kept them overnight in our rooms, with the heating on...)

All 3 cameras had the same problems - I have operated the Z1 in worse conditions and had no problems... So a slight area of concern - will be doing more tests later this yr.

Still - the provided stunning images tho!

Chris D TV

Chris Dickinson
Lighting Cameraman and Editor
http://www.chrisd.tv

Return to posts index

Louis Bruno
on Apr 24, 2008 at 12:31:15 am

Humm.........we have sold hundreds of XHA-1's in our shop.

I only know of ONE power supply failure. Tons of user error which are corrected by reading the manuals.

Lou Bruno

Return to posts index

Eric Temple
on Apr 1, 2008 at 5:12:33 pm

Just my two cents... based upon my own experience with the XL-H1. I had three big problems in a row... The CCD died on the first one... the tape transport failed on the second, and the tape pitch was off on the third... making tapes shot on it unable to play on Sony decks. They were able to fix it, but after my three strikes, I sold the camera and went with Sony.

Return to posts index

C David Miller
on Apr 6, 2008 at 1:21:45 am

I have been using Canon for a number of years and started with a XL1. I have now had my XL2 since the first day it came out and it works beautiful. I did have one problem with it, I tried a new power arrangement on my camera crane and blew the boards out, this was not a Canon problem. They charged the flat $250 service charge, since it was out of warranty and I did that via credit card

So the moral to this story was, that I wanted to say something about service for the Canon Pro Camera Line. I Fed-X it to Canon NJ service center at 5pm Monday an it arrived at 930am the next morning, they made their paperwork intake on the first day, it was benched and fixed on day two, replacing to boards and made the UPS out of NJ that evening and back to me by 1030am on Wednesday, day three.

So my real question is will Sony be that quick? Thanks Canon for taking care of your pro users.

Thanks for my two cent

Dave

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:13:19 am

[C David Miller] "So my real question is will Sony be that quick? Thanks Canon for taking care of your pro users. "

Yes, but it really boils down to the particular repair facility you're dealing with and the people who are working at that facility. My experience with Canon repair in Canada has been one of mostly frustration with repair turnaround time averaging about 6 - 8 weeks. Unacceptable if you're trying to run a business. Heck, it's even unacceptable if you're just a consumer palmcorder user.

On the other hand one of the major Canadian Sony repair facilities is a 20 min. drive from my doorstep. I took a PD170 in for cleaning and adjustment at mid afternoon last year and they phoned the next morning to say it was ready for pickup.

I love my Canons but have been buying Sony now for just this reason. When you own your own business getting camera maintenance done in a timely manner is everything to me.

- Don

Return to posts index

Louis Bruno
on Apr 13, 2008 at 9:44:30 pm

My JVC GY DV 500 Error rate adjustmemt

SONY VX2100 Power supply unit no good

SONY FX-1 Transport problems

Canon XH A-1 PRICELESS

Lou Bruno

Return to posts index

Gary Bain
on Apr 27, 2008 at 1:10:14 pm

I bought my XHA-1 a year ago and my first time to use it was on horseback. I transported it on horses almost every day for two months and haven't had any problems at all. The only thing I don't like is the background noise on audio. There is probably something I'm doing wrong but the noise seems to always be there. It also works nicely with the Adobe CS3 I use. Good luck-Gary

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
on Jun 25, 2008 at 8:45:28 am

Someone just gave me a 2008 consumer reports book and I was literally flipping through it killing time and guess what?
Sony rate of serious failure. 2.5%
Panasonic 3-5%, I can't remember.
Canon 10%
JVC 10%

These are reported failures serious enough to return the item. This means that Canon has a 400% higher failure rate than Sony. I pretty much expected that. Canon does lenses, Sony electronics.

Oh well, I bought the Canon and odds are 90% that I got a good one!

At the price you could buy 3 over the z1U, have one fail and be justified!

S.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media

Return to posts index

Dave Matthis
on Jul 7, 2008 at 7:25:46 pm

For what it's worth, in my day job for the past nine years I've been using an XL1 and a Sony DSR130 DVCAM side by side, with lots of remote shoots and shipping involved. For the same amount of time I've also personally owned and used another XL1 on my outside projects.

In nine years none of these cameras has ever broken. One of the XL1s now has an occasional failure of one of the color channels, but a power-cycle usually resets it. All in all, I think either manufacturer's product is a safe bet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]