FORUMS: list search recent posts

locked vs unlocked audio??

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Slenker
locked vs unlocked audio??
on Mar 26, 2008 at 9:09:42 pm

Hi folks.
This is my first post on this forum. I'm usually browsing the Media100 and compression forums since I edit w/ Media100 Producer 11.6.2. Anyway, I've been having a problem digitizing (via firewire)long sections of footage (over 20 min.) into my editor. After 18 to 20 min, the audio and video seem to become out of sync and seem to get worse over time. What does this have to do w/ Canon?......well I'm shooting the footage on MiniDV w/ my Canon XL-1 and using the camcorder as my input device for my NLE.

I've done some troubleshooting like (1) using a JVC MiniDV/SVHS combo deck as my play source instead and get the same results. (2) I've digitized a VHS tape from that same combo deck and the audio stays in sync for the whole duration (45 min.) (3) I've used one of my Canon GL-1s as a source deck but still get sync problems. All 3 tests have been using firewire since that's the only way to digitize using Media100 Producer. I have no analog to digital converter boxes to try.

It seems that maybe this has something to do w/ the camera that the footage was recorded on. I inquired on the Media100 forum a while back thinking maybe this was a bug. One guy said I need to check and see if the camera is recording audio in the locked audio mode or the unlocked audio mode. He linked this article to learn what that is:

http://www.dvformat.com/htm/features/2000/8_00/dv_format_faq.htm

I looked through all my Canon XL-1's menus and see nothing that determines this. That's not 12 bit vs 16 bit is it? I was thinking it was a NDF vs. DF issue since the editing app only wants DF 29.97 SD. I was wondering if the camcorder records in NDF but I really don't think it does.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever heard of anyone having any problems like this? I record a lot of long form (one camera) programs for my university like concerts, lectures, etc. I need to be able to digitize long clips w/out problems. My Canons are the only camcorders I have access to that record to a format I can import via firewire.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Robert Slenker
Re: locked vs unlocked audio??
on Mar 26, 2008 at 9:30:24 pm

a few more details about my setup in case anyone has questions:

1. using a Mac Pro (Intel based ) desktop and a MacBook Pro laptop. Same problem (and software) on both.

2. firewire cable is a 4 pin (from camera) to 9 pin (FW 800) to front jack on computer. (Although I've tried using the FW400 jack too w/ a different cable.)

3. digitizing to a G-Raid 500GB FW800 external hard drive. This was a recent addition since I was first trying to digitize to one of the PC's internal drives and thought they may not be fast enough.

4. I can see the problem occurring when digitizing (after about 20min.) It's not like I can't see it until playing back in the editor.

5. I've tried using tapes that were recorded in the 12 bit audio mode and the 16 bit audio mode.

Return to posts index

Robert Slenker
on Mar 27, 2008 at 3:43:19 pm

another update:

I hooked up my DVCPRO camcorder (via analog: S-video and RCA L&R) (it's old and doesn't have FW out) to the my JVC MiniDV/SVHS combo deck and used it as a analog to digital converter so I could go out of it via firewire and into my front FW800 port on my Mac Pro desktop. Digitizing a 40 min clip gave me good results....in terms of the audio and video matching throughout the clip. It's got to be something going on w/ my Canon camcorders, eh?

Return to posts index

Robert Slenker
on Apr 4, 2008 at 6:55:11 pm

Update:
I was able to borrow a Panasonic AG-HVX200 camcorder so I recorded a 45 min event w/ clean audio and I digitized it into Media100 via firewire and ...drum roll please...it worked Great! I guess there's just something wrong w/ the way my Canon camcorders (XL-1 and GL-1) record MiniDV footage that Media100 Producer v.11.6.2 doesn't like. I guess I need to pick up an HVX200 now if I'm to make use of these workstations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]