FORUMS: list search recent posts

CCD vs. CMOS in HD

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Hamm
CCD vs. CMOS in HD
on Mar 7, 2008 at 11:34:15 am

We've been using a Canon XH-A1 to test it out, as we make the slow and painful transition to HD. It's a great camera, really, and I've been very impressed with almost everything about it. At least, I was. Then I saw the images produced by the HV20 under similar conditions. BLOWN AWAY!

I adore my GL2s and I'm certainly not complaining about the XH-A1, it's a brilliant machine. If I hadn't seen the pictures produced by the HV20, I wouldn't have any problem buying it right now. But the CMOS chip in the HV20 is, first off, full 1080p, while the CCDs in the XH are just 1080i, and the HV20's CMOS makes some amazingly brilliant footage -- it's a consumer handicam!

So, does anyone have a line on when Canon is going to take this amazing tech and put it into a pro cam? Because I'm saving pennies for it now.

kev~!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: CCD vs. CMOS in HD
on Mar 7, 2008 at 5:27:00 pm

Canon is a lot like Apple Computer in that they won't make any new camera announcements until the thing is virtually on the retail shelves. The people that DO know are most likely bound by NDAs so they won't be volunteering any info. So anything you or I hear about a new Canon camera will be the product of someone's overactive imagination. Such is the way of things these days.

CCD sensors use more power and are subject to vertical smearing. CMOS sensors use less power have no vertical smear but create more picture noise than CCDs. CCD and CMOS technology has distinct advantages and disadvantages. CMOS used to be more expensive to manufacture but in recent years the costs have come down to the point that they're finding their way into the market now in larger numbers.

- Don

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
Re: CCD vs. CMOS in HD
on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:04:12 pm

Don - -Just discovered this older post. Did Canon every produce a pro camera in the HV20 flavor? And do you have an overall preference for CCD or CMOS?

thanks

newbie looking for camera background -

dd

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]