FORUMS: list search recent posts

GL2 color bars

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Mikulla
GL2 color bars
on Feb 23, 2008 at 9:03:50 pm

I've just opened the box on my new GL2,and read the entire manual. I've been using a cheap sony cam for years and using FCE HD for a couple years to much enjoyment! However I know nothing about color correction in post production, but working on learning it!

As far as the color bars feature on the GL2, how can I use them to help me shoot better video at this point in my learning?
Thanks, Dean

Final Cut Express HD 3.0
Powerbook G4

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: GL2 color bars
on Feb 24, 2008 at 8:43:46 pm

[Dean Mikulla] "As far as the color bars feature on the GL2, how can I use them to help me shoot better video at this point in my learning?
"

Camera generated color bars are usually recorded at the head (and/or tail) of the tape.

These are only used to check (and, if need be) adjust for the color-level, phase (hue) and video levels of the tape, based on what the camera generated at the time of the shoot.

But, these bars won't have any practical bearing on the actual VIDEO that you shoot.
That's because you could adjust (or misadjust... or forget to set) the lighting, white-balance, iris-levels, video gain, and black-levels of the camera's image DURING the shoot, and, therefore, the color bars will have no relation to the recorded image, whatsoever.

Return to posts index

Dean Mikulla
Re: GL2 color bars
on Feb 24, 2008 at 11:04:05 pm

Thanks Matte

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]