FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stripe your tapes on the GL2?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marshall Movies
Stripe your tapes on the GL2?
on Feb 23, 2008 at 3:56:10 am

Do you stripe your tapes on the GL2 ( or what ever cam you have), or do you use a "player",( ex. cheap mini dv cam), just as you should capture from a different mini dv "player" to save the heads on your three chip cam? Just got my first prosumer-GL2, thank you!
Dean

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Matte Blume
Re: Stripe your tapes on the GL2?
on Feb 23, 2008 at 8:11:19 pm

It is not necessary to "black-stripe" your tapes prior to shooting in any camcorder situation (BetaSP, Digibeta, DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO, etc.)
The pre-striping is only needed for tapes that are used in the record DECK of LINEAR EDIT SYSTEMS.

I know that there are massive amounts of misinformation that says that if you pre-stripe a DV tape that you won't end up with discontinuous Timecode... but the fact is that any recording (such as pre-striping) made on a tape subsequently used for shooting in a camcorder will be fully erased and replaced by the erase and record heads in the camcorder.
So you are just doubling the head-wear on your gear by performing a "useless pass" on the tape during the pre-stripe.
Camcorders cannot "Insert edit" (which leaves the TC intact). They can only "assemble edit" which completely records over and replaces any A/V and TC that may already be on the tape.

There is just no NEED to pre-stripe shooting tapes if you are careful to never let the TC play past your last recorded section... and then go into record again... so that the TC "resets" to zero.) All it takes is paying attention to what you are doing when checking a tape.

Return to posts index

Dean Mikulla
on Feb 23, 2008 at 8:27:07 pm

Ye sI just noticed that on my new Gl2. I didnt realize that the time code gets recorded over if you rewind and re-record, (kind of!).
Thanks

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
on Feb 23, 2008 at 8:56:45 pm

[Dean Mikulla] "I didnt realize that the time code gets recorded over if you rewind and re-record, (kind of!). "

Yes, all camcorders do this.
No need to stripe a camera tape.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]