FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to find out about SLR lenses on Canon xl1s

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Winn
Trying to find out about SLR lenses on Canon xl1s
on Feb 23, 2008 at 3:25:40 am

Hi,
I shoot with a Canon xl1s & have been looking at some great footage with film-like depth of field, and amazing coloring. I realize the latter may be due more to lighting and particularly post.

Here's a couple of links to the kind of footage I'm talking about by the Erwin brothers:

http://www.erwinbrothers.com/music_videos/Entries/2007/4/20_HYUNDAI_COMMERC...

http://www.erwinbrothers.com/music_videos/Entries/2007/7/19_POINT_OF_GRACE%...

I'm under the impression that attaching SLR type lenses to my camera will provide that kind of depth of field. I know little about these lenses, mm's, etc. If anyone can help or lead me to where I can learn about this, I'd be grateful. Also would love to find out how to achieve such warm looks on video.
Thanks so much,
S

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Trying to find out about SLR lenses on Canon xl1s
on Feb 23, 2008 at 5:47:28 am

I didn't get a chance to look at the links yet... but I'm assuming that the elusive very shallow depth of field is what you are after...

[Sean Winn] "I'm under the impression that attaching SLR type lenses to my camera will provide that kind of depth of field."

Well.... yes, and no. Attaching 35mm lenses to your camera will provide shallow depths of field. But unfortunately attaching those lenses directly to your camera will not.

The long and short of it is that you need a depth-of-field lens converter, a gadget which goes between the lens and your camera body and restores the 35mm DoF characteristics. They range from pretty simple to quite complicated, and from pretty cheap (less than a grand) to pretty expensive (more than $10,000). It does indeed work very very well, I use a P+S Technik Mini35 converter with my Canon XLH1 almost every day.

I could go into this in great detail, but it has been covered in various COW forums bunches of times. I'd suggest doing a forum search for "depth of field" and you will find several threads with lots of info. You can also dig through the COW Magazine archives (I think the PDFs are here on the COW somewhere), in last Summer's issue I wrote an article about DoF conversion using 35mm cine lenses and our Canon camera which might give you some details.

Give those a read, and if you have any more questions give a shout, will be happy to help.....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
Re: Trying to find out about SLR lenses on Canon xl1s
on Feb 23, 2008 at 12:59:22 pm

Todd,
Great info, really appreciate it...
S

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved