FORUMS: list search recent posts

XH A1 FIREWIRE JACK

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Rhodimer
XH A1 FIREWIRE JACK
on Feb 22, 2008 at 4:46:05 pm

Has anyone heard of the firewire jack having problems on the the XH A1? I just lost any connection with mine and did 4 hours of tests narrowing it down to the fact that even Imovie didn't see my camera. The cable was fine. I hooked my GL2 up and it worked fine. I did all the correct steps in order with trashing my prefs and linking everthing up as prescribed by Don. I even was able to use this camera 3 days ago fine but now that even I movie doesn't see the camera even in standard def with a standard def tape I believe it's the actual jack (port). any thoughts?

thanks much.

jim

Return to posts index

Christopher Kinsman
Re: XH A1 FIREWIRE JACK
on Feb 23, 2008 at 4:42:35 pm

Hey Jim, I've heard of the Sony line of cameras having problems with the fw port getting burned out. They say this happens when the fw cable is plugged in while the camera and the computer are on. Apparently it's possible to short out during the connection process with the voltage that is carried through the firewire. From your description it sounds like this is your problem. Best of luck! Kind Regards, Chris K.

Return to posts index

Todd Roush
on Mar 29, 2008 at 7:14:08 am

I just read about this in a review at BHphoto along with a lens barrel and transport problems. I am seriously considering this camera but historically they seem to have far more issues than other cameras.

I always hot swap my firewires without issues but this does worry me.

Good luck.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's but changing so Sony or Cannon HDV soon.

Return to posts index

Tim Kohn
on Nov 20, 2008 at 10:17:37 pm

As did I until earlier this year when using two identical CANON XLH1 cameras. I connected the first one to the computer via firewire and the camcorder died. in a state of panic i called the dealer to determine what was wrong with the camera. after smelling what seemed to be burning metal it appeared that the circuit board had fried. I then connected the second camera, and low and behold, the same thing. In base cases the cameras were sent to Canon for service and in both cases the problem was caused by the the voltage being reversed via the firewire cable INTO the camera, frying the boards. I had never, ever heard of this before. To make matters worse I own the little brother XHA1 Canon camera, and now I am really nervous about the sensitivity of the firewire connection. Does any have similar experiences with firewire connections and the canon cameras. This sounds like it could be Canon thing as the dealer has never had issues with other cameras getting fried by the firewire cable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]