FORUMS: list search recent posts

framing an interview

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Linzer
framing an interview
on Feb 21, 2008 at 8:01:08 pm

I have a XL1s and realized that the framing that I see in the eyepiece is actually wider than what I see after I've captured the video and play it back. Any suggestions. Is there a external monitor I could use during recording that would give me an accurate frame? I'm doing interviews so it is critical that what I see is what I'm going to get. Thanks Gary

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: framing an interview
on Feb 21, 2008 at 8:54:35 pm

The XL cameras (any of the series) are somewhat notorious for overscanning in the viewfinder... but that's not limited to Canons, lots of viewfinders are unreliable.

It's particularly pesky for guys who are used to shooting film where you can see in the viewfinder a fair bit of the area outside of the actual film frame, where it is much easier to make sure that mic booms, light stands, etc., do not creep into the shot.

So yes, for critical framing an external monitor is necessary. Look for one that has a feature called "underscan," which bascially reduces the picture a bit on the monitor screen so you get true edge-to-edge viewing. Any monitor that underscans should be fine (and that is a feature that you will find on most if not all real production monitors). There is usually a button or switch labeled "Underscan" which toggles back and forth between underscanned and full viewing.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Gary Linzer
on Feb 22, 2008 at 7:42:54 pm

Thanks for the answer. Any suggestions on a monitor?

Return to posts index

Brian Berneker
on May 22, 2008 at 2:11:45 am

I'm not sure about your particular camera, but you can use component out or HDMI to DVI conversion to get the full image on most cameras.

Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]