FORUMS: list search recent posts

Xh A1 automatic audio level

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john whiteway
Xh A1 automatic audio level
on Feb 18, 2008 at 7:26:31 pm

Hello.

What I can't figure out from the manual is whether "audio level" set at "A" for automatic will also automatically control levels when using the XLR ports. The manual's only mention of this setting refers to the built-in mic.

We've been using both XLRs: one to a mic on the camera the other to a mic on a boom. It's just too hard for the camera operator to be monitoring levels when audio level is set to manual so we were hoping and assuming that set at automatic we would also be getting some level control of these two mics.

Can anyone help me out here?

John

Return to posts index

William Busby
Re: Xh A1 automatic audio level
on Feb 19, 2008 at 9:10:20 pm

Set to auto works with either the on board mic or XLR's provided you have XLR activated in the menu. The fault with Canon's audio auto level mode is that it affects both channels as one. There's no way to set it for independent channels. Meaning for instance, you have your main audio source on one channel... & secondary audio on the other... if sound source for the secondary audio channel rises considerably for whatever reason, it's going to affect & lower your main channel. Stupid design, but it is what it is.

Return to posts index

Brian Findlay
Re: Xh A1 automatic audio level
on Apr 22, 2008 at 7:47:03 pm

Personally, I never run it in auto.. I've had a couple of experiences where the sound is clipped in regular speech..

I would rather have the audio record in manual at too low a level though a clean source (good mic, maybe a preamp).. than to use the auto mode.

I think Canon did alot to get the autofocus on the A1 working much better than the XLH1, but auto on the mic still is pretty weak..

All in all.. if I can, I run everything in manual, tough to do in run and gun.. but if your in a more static situation, you just get more consistent results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]