FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blinking PLAYBACK STD in XL H1 SIGNAL SETUP Menu

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Knell
Blinking PLAYBACK STD in XL H1 SIGNAL SETUP Menu
on Feb 7, 2008 at 6:46:26 pm

Hi and thanks in advance for the advice....
Here's my problem: I have a XL H1 set up to output HDV in the PLAYBACK STD and 1080i on the COMP OUT sections of the SIGNAL SETUP. AV/DV is OFF.
As soon as I plug in my firewire 400 4>6 pin cable to my Dual 2.0Mhz G5, the PLAYBACK STD starts to FLASH/BLINK greyed to not greyed out in the menu listing.
When I start up either FCP 6 or the newest iMovie [2008?] and try to log/capture,I'm told there is no camera attached.
Removing the FW cable stops the blinking and reveals a ready-to-change HDV option.
What is the blinking PLAYBACK STD trying to tell me?
I have switched cables and input ports on the Mac with no changes.
Is it possible that the 4 pin out on the Canon is defective or is there something else I'm missing?
Thank You all.
Christopher Scott Knell
Dual 2.0 2GIG Ram 10.4.10
FCP 6.0.1

Christopher Knell
FireLine Studios
Burbank, CA

Return to posts index

Derrick Ramos
Re: Blinking PLAYBACK STD in XL H1 SIGNAL SETUP Menu
on Aug 3, 2008 at 5:13:59 pm

Hey I have the same exact problem, but I use the XH-A1. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Jan 19, 2009 at 11:21:13 pm

i also have this problem

brand new canon xh-a1
osx 10.5.6
fcp 6.0.5

i am an freelance editor and have used this machine FCP with other decks and cameras successfully for a good while

have tried every permutation i have found on forums for 4 hours

shot 50i for the whole tape, easy setup HDV 1080/50i firewire basic etc

main sticking points that hasn't been answered as far as i can tell:

on the xh-a1, PLAYBACK STD AUTO in the SIGNAL SETUP menu is flashing (does this really mean the firewire connection on the camera is broken? can anyone confirm?)

please help - going nuts...

Return to posts index

Derrick Ramos
on Jan 20, 2009 at 1:43:24 am

I am your saint and savior.
Alas it is not the camera. It is your firewire card as it is fried. As my buddy told me, FireWire ports tend to go out faster than USBs. That and the short bursts of electricity that are sent through the port by means of electronic-not-turned-off being plugged in.

What I did? Bought a new firewire card and got into the habit of turning the camera off before connecting it.

Cheers. May you no longer suffer my brethren.

Return to posts index

Christopher Knell
on Jan 20, 2009 at 1:51:43 am

@Derrick:
Not so sure about that.
All my external drives were using the same FW ports and were doing fine when I posted this originally waaaay back on February of 2008

Christopher Knell
FireLine Studios
Burbank, CA

Return to posts index

Derrick Ramos
on Jan 20, 2009 at 6:56:26 am

I would make sure. And double check.

Before I bought a new FireWire card I sent my camera in to irvine to be fixed. They sent it back saying that there wasn't anything wrong with it. I hooked it back up and the problem was still there.

So then I knew the problem wasn't the camera.

The reason why it's blinking is because the camera recognizes that something is plugged in. But the computer doesn't see it. In my case it was the FireWire card. I can only imagine that it's the FireWire card for you too.

Have you used any other devices that use the same FireWire port? And if those work then I have no clue. In this case, the shlt has already hit the fan and you should send the camera in.

But if you don't want to go through the hassle, make sure it's not the card. Good luck bro.

Return to posts index

Christopher Knell
on Jan 20, 2009 at 3:36:22 pm

Since I originally posted this a year ago, I've moved on from the Canon camera and bought a few HVX 200a's which I'm very happy with.

As far as FW ports go: All Firewire ports on a Mac use the same single Bus. I even think that the 400 and 800 use the same bus. (I'm probably wrong on that) If one goes, they all go.

My best guess for a fix to this issue is to swap out the cable itself. The shorter the better.

Christopher Knell
FireLine Studios
Burbank, CA

Return to posts index

Derrick Ramos
on Jan 20, 2009 at 6:49:41 pm

I also tried swapping cords. And also swapping cords on different machines.

Found out it wasn't the cord. I am currently using my original cord on the new FireWire card. And you're right. When the firewire port went out. They all did. After I swapped the card it worked.

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Jan 21, 2009 at 9:03:01 pm

hi again all - just a quick one to say thanks to Christopher Knell and every one else.

I had tried everything and the idea that the canon's firewire section had gone kaput seemed plausible...

However - a perfectly fine cable died between leaving work (where i was using it with a deck) and arriving my house tro test my new camera - what were the chances of that!?

With a new cable (thought i'd better check on the offchance!) everything was fine and dandy.

Feel silly now.

matthew

Return to posts index

Steve Hix
on Mar 26, 2015 at 12:20:33 am

I just started this flashing problem too with my XH-A1s. Firewire on the PC works fine with my audio interface, and tried other cables. Also doesn't work on a 2nd computer. I had the firewire port go out on my camera twice before but I never entered the menu to notice the flashing menu if it was flashing or noticed the flash on the display. First repair $600, 2nd $400. If this is another fried firewire port on the camera, any idea why they keep going out? Camera is off when I plug in and unplug.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]