Doug Milton
that film look / setings
on Jan 7, 2008 at 10:46:48 pm

I am wondering if I can get some advise on set up for an up coming project

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: that film look / setings
on Jan 7, 2008 at 10:57:21 pm

[Doug Milton] "Todd talked about having tweaked setting to get specific film stock looks. I would not presume to ask for them."

You would be perfectly welcome to ask, Doug... it's just that the answer wouldn't do you any good. We use a lens converter and all the tweaking and presets that we did to emulate different filmstocks were based on the very specific lenses that we use. In fact we have three sets of presets for each stock... one for our usual Leitz-Panavision primes, one for a 200mm Russian LOMO I have, and one for a 37-140 Russian Foton zoom. These lenses are all somewhat different from each other in color and contrast... and they are all very very different from the stock Canon zoom. I hardly ever use the stock zoom, so I have just not made any filmstock presets for it. If I had, you would be welcome to them.

Barring better information which might be forthcoming, I would just set up the camera and a good known-to-be-accurate monitor and go in and play with the different parameters (I think there are 22 or 23 of them) until you get something that you like. Fortuantely, it's not math... there are no right and wrong answers... so just find something that looks good to you and save a couple of the combinations as presets.

And for the project that you are considering, it depends on the look that you are going for but if it were me I would definitely shoot 24f. It will capture and import into your project as 60i anyway (but with the 24fps "look") so there shouldn't be any synchro problems.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]